Chapter 35 l Nightmare

Everything around Calla was a blur. The hallways of the Williams' Estate familiar to her younger self. Her mother held her hand tight, tugging the small girl with her, and an even younger Caed in her arms. The white curtains adorning the floor to ceiling windows whipped around them, the rain pelting her already tear-stained face. Her mother spoke rapidly, glancing behind them every so often.

"I know this will by hard, Cals, but Mama and Papa need to go somewhere, okay? We won't be able to see each other." Calla was confused. Why wouldn't she be able to see her parents anymore? It didn't make sense. They ran down the stairs and out the front door, the wind whipping around them. Her mother pulled off her cloak, slipping it around Calla's shoulders and giving her Caed. "I love you sweetheart, remember this always." She murmured, brushing a stray black hair out of Calla's face.The girl's lip trembled as her mother pressed her lips to her daughter's forehead. "I love you both more than anything." She steered them towards the front of the house. "Now go, run, My Lily, run faster than you ever have before and don't look back." Calla had run, lightning flashing around the forest, wind and rain pelting her skin and her brother's cries. She had only looked back once, watching as the William's Estate was swallowed by the maelstrom.

~

"Ah, fuck, holy shit." Calla groaned, her head pounding with a migraine.

"So vulgar." A woman laughed. An unfamiliar woman. Calla jerked awake, jumping back. The woman in front of her only chuckled at the sight. In one hand, she held a staff, wearing a red dress with her blonde hair swept to the side.

"Oh, ho, ho, no." Calla muttered. "Who are you? And where is my child?"

"You do realize Arthur's not your son, right?" Her face lightened up at the sound of Meliodas' voice. He was leaned against the wall of the hut they were currently on, smiling. "Mornin' Calla~" Her eyes narrowed down.

"You're different." She stated. Meliodas shrugged.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." He said, whistling. His arm came up to block a sudden fist coming towards his face.

"Re-e-eally~?" She inquired before letting out a surprised squeal as Meliodas swooped her up and over his shoulder.

"Can you two move it into the training cave?" The woman inquired. Meliodas snickered.

"Nishishsi~Forgot you were there, Jenna." He said, ignoring the kicks to his back. "How ya' feeling Calla?" She huffed an annoyed breath.

"I'm tired and annoyed as shit." Her eyes narrowed down to a point. Meliodas' brow rose in question. "And why the hell didn't you tell me that your brother was like, the cutest thing, ever?" He faltered some. "Like seriously, if I wasn't scared of getting sliced into minced meat, you know I'd be adopting him like Arthur." Meliodas snorted.

"Yeah. He'd probably beat your ass. Now c'mon. I think you're up for a little training, eh Calla?" She huffed.

"Yeah, yeah, let's get going. I have way too much pent up aggression."

~

"Ooh, shiny~" Calla reached a hand out and squawked when Meliodas whacked it.

"Those'll transport us to different areas, so be careful." He glanced around. "Hmm, hmm, hmm." He grinned. "A-ha~! Hey Jenna, we're going for this one!" He pointed to a large dark red stone.

"Got it~!" The druid remarked. Calla pitched forward as the scenery changed around them and flinched when she felt rain touch her bare skin. The smells of a forest hit her nose like a punch and she reeled back at the nostalgic feeling washing over her.

"Where are we?" She asked. Meliodas, gripping a wooden staff, shrugged.

"Dunno. This place is supposed to be special." As lightning flashed, it illuminated the pair. And the dark manor in front of them. "A place in the past," he recited. "C'mon, we got enemies to fight, and powers to gain." She nodded absentmindedly, following being her captain. He went up the stairs first, slipping into the manor. "This place is pretty surreal, being a battleground, after all." He observed. When Calla said nothing, he looked over his shoulder, seeing her look around with her mouth hanging open. "Hello~? Earth to Calla~" He waved a hand in front of her face, and her green-blue eyes blinked rapidly, shaking her head as if clearing cobwebs. "You all good?" He asked. "You look like you've seen a ghost." Her gaze turned to him.

"I have." She snapped, shoving past him. "Follow me." His brow cocked before following her. She climbed the main stairs, eyes narrowing down at every shadow. Rain pattered against the windows and manner, the wind causing the entire estate to creak. Meliodas nearly crashed into the other Sin as she stopped, looking out of the large stained window next to the landing. Lighting lit up the area once more and Calla snapped into action, moving Meliodas out of the way as a black figure came crashing through. Colored shards of glass went flying and the demon watched the pair of black clad warriors tumbled down the stairs. Calla made it out first, using her momentum to propel her through the air. She grinned to herself, swiping a decorative blade above an archway. Despite having the upper hand of surprise, Meliodas' attack was blocked by the figure—who had pulled out a long battle-ax. Icy blue eyes gleamed from underneath their hood before Meliodas was thrown backwards. He vaguely heard metal clang together and sat up to see Calla getting launched through the ceiling. Their opponent followed, barely sparing Meliodas a glance. Cursing under his breath, purple wings unfurled from his back and he shot into the air after them. He surfaced above the roof, and was immediately greeted by a body crashing into his.

"Aw fuck!" Calla hissed, bringing her blade up in defense as the axe came down. "Rising Inferno!" The night sky was lit up and the cloaked figure went skidding across the soaked roof. "Get up!" She snapped, directing it at Meliodas. He stuck his tongue out. She ignored this. The figure shoved themselves up, hood falling back. Through the maelstrom, Meliodas heard Calla suck in a breath before coughing—her sucking in a mouthful of rain droplets. Long pink hair came undone and fell down the woman's back.

"It's been quite some time, Calla, hasn't it?" The woman inquired, giving them a kind smile. Meliodas's face morphed into surprise as Calla threw her head back and laughed.

"I thought," Calla started. "That maybe after such a long time, my demons would leave me the fuck alone." She said. "But I suppose I was wrong, Mother."