Chapter 22 l Siblings

The forest around the pair was welcoming and warm, unlike the place the siblings called home. Calla had a firm grip on her little brother's hand as they walked through the quiet forest.

"Cals?" Caed inquired, gaining her attention. "Why do Mommy and Daddy hate us?" Her six? year old self flinched at the question.

"Mommy and Daddy don't hate us." She said. "They just show love and affection differently." Caed didn't seem satisfied with the answer as he picked at a small leaf he had grabbed earlier.

"Why do you come home with bruises sometimes?" He asked. Calla didn't want to answer that as she pointed towards a small raspberry bush.

"Look! Raspberries!" That gained his attention and on his small, chubby legs, Caed ran towards the small bush. Calla laughed some before following pursuit. She peaked behind her towards Ravens and sighed. She would never feel at home with people like that parents. And she could never have the heart to tell Caed those people at 'home' weren't their parents. She knelt beside him, filling up the small basket with the berries. She made an oath to herself that night. She would always protect Caed with her life, no matter what.

~

It had been awhile since Calla had cried, but as she hugged her long-lost brother, she had broken down. Despite the battle going on, she held on as tightly as she could. Caed hugged her with the same fierceness. She had searched for him, once upon a time, but had come up short. She should've known he went to Liones as a Knight. After a few moments, she pulled away, examining his face. After being turned into one of those beasts, all he was left with was a pair of simple trousers, so she pulled off her cloak, clipping it over his shoulders. She looked over his face and body, checking for anything out of the ordinary before she was satisfied. Caed reached out, touching her scar.

"Is it really you, Calla? Are you really here?" He inquired. Calla bit the inside of her cheek to stop more tears from flowing.

"Yes. It's really me." She answered. "I'm here, in the flesh." She smiled then, ruffling his hair. He squawked in annoyance, fending her off with his hands. Her grin widened. "You really have grown up, haven't you? I'm so proud of you, Caed." He blushed a little before giving her a look.

"And you've grown too. You look like a battle torn warrior." He said. She laughed.

"Nope, just a really really dumb chick who got into a throw down with a Grand Holy Knight—" She stopped. "Vivian! That bitch!" She slapped a hand over her mouth. "Sorry." She apologized. "But I have to go, my friends are in trouble." She stood up and her brother stood with her.

"I'm going too." He said. Calla shook her head.

"Nuh uh. I don't need you getting wounded. And there's a storm coming I don't know even I will survive." She said.

"But I've gotten stronger!" Caed countered. Calla flicked him on the nose.

"Are you immortal?" She inquired. He looked puzzled as he shook his head. "I am, Caed. I can survive almost anything. I just got you back, I'm not losing you again." She set a hand on his shoulder. "I trust you, Caed. And I know you've gotten stronger, but I cannot lose you. So please, listen to your sister. I friends that need saving, and a lover that needs kissing!" Caed sighed.

"You know I'm going to still go, right?" He inquired. Calla sighed.

"Not on my watch." She cleared her throat before shouting. "GILTHUNDER!! GET YOUR ASS OVER HERE!" Caed looked surprised that she knew a Diamond level Holy Knight. She saw some familiar lighting before the pink haired knight landed in front of her. "Look, this is my brother, Caed. And I don't need him on the battlefield." He nodded. "You wanna take him somewhere safe? It'll be the last thing I ever ask of you." Gilthunder smiled.

"I'll take care of your brother, don't worry." He said. Calla smiled.

"Thanks, Gil. It means a lot to me." She looked at Caed who was fuming at her. "Sorry, Caed. I don't want you dying. And Gil will take you somewhere safe, 'kay?" She ruffled his hair. "And I love you. Don't forget it." Caed could not reply as his sister swung her whip around before attaching it to a building and flew off towards the maelstrom of attacks.