bonus ⁴⁴

alternate ending—occurs before chapter 34

Only one life, that soon is past

CADE AND I WERE THE FIRST ones in the fields to meet Thom in the early morning

"Am I going blind?" He rubbed his baggy eyes and stared at us, "Are you two actually the first ones down here?"

"You better believe it, Thom." I said. "Does this mean we get a raise?"

"Don't be ridiculous."

"Worth a shot."

The rest of the workers started trickling in until the usual circle was formed. Thom started his spiel as soon as it was seven o'clock.

"Gary, today you're in the quarry with Willow. Hunt, you're in the orchard with Link. Jem, you're in the pen with Shelly. Quinn. . ." Thom was saying and I held my breath as he slowly got to our jobs, "Soleil, you're hunting with Farrah. Jaymie, you're fishing with Henri. Get to it."

It took two months but Thom finally promoted me to hunting the woods. When I trained with Farrah the first time, I brought back three rabbits and a dozen pigeons. It was the most anyone had ever caught and still, Thom rotated my tasks for each day and wouldn't let me have the hunting duties.

Except today, which was a special day.

Cade was also pretty much an expert at fishing in the rivers so Thom stuck him there the past week. He was the strongest swimmer we had and was one of the only people that could swim against the current and get the nets.

I'd also gotten to know each of the workers. Farrah, Henri, Jem, and Link had become fast friends and were the most helpful. Even Gary and the reclusive Zeb were opening up more.

"What's your weapon of choice?" Farrah asked as we got to the shed where all the hunting supplies was stored.

"Do you really have to ask?" I picked up a worn down bow while she chose a recurve.

"Why am I not surprised,"

We packed fifty arrows in each of our quivers, as well as some rabbit and deer traps. We headed for the edge of the woods where most of the animals lived.