chapter ¹⁰

❝ Capricorns tend to go zeroor a hundred

Capricorns tend to go zero
or a hundred.
They give you everything
or nothing at all

THE SECOND I SAW WHO was standing on the other side of the door, I knew there had to be some mistake

"I'm pretty sure you have the wrong room."

"Room 707." Veronica showed me her key and my spirits died. She squeezed passed me and I crossed my arms.

Every year when the sun was in Gemini, the graduating twelfth year class travelled to the Nashira sector for a ski trip that was funded by the student council.

For four days, we would sleep in cozy log cabins by the Mirage Mountains and "study" the environment. But for the students, it was a chance to do something fun and make lasting memories with our friends.

It was supposed to be a fun trip to get away from everything but somebody was going to ruin it for me.

"Where's Sky?" After all, she was supposed to be my roommate, we'd requested each other at the start of school.

"How should I know." Veronica rolled her eyes and threw her brown suitcase on her bed. She started to unpack and claimed the left-sided drawers. "Keep your stuff off of my side and we'll be good."

What the hell, I wasn't going to take this.

"Don't get too comfortable, I'm talking to Mrs. Carrie about this."

She rolled her eyes again and it was getting tiring fast, "Okay."

It was like the start of a terrible joke—a Capricorn and a Sagittarius are trapped in the same room together for four days. . .

»» ───────        ─────── ««

We gathered in the meeting hall and I sat next to Kingston. Sky was nowhere to be found and I itched to tell her the bad news. It turned out that our requests had gotten misplaced and no matter how hard I'd argued with Mrs. Carrie, she wouldn't let us switch. Said it had something to do with the attendance order or some other bullshit.