chapter ²¹

❝ Sagittarius is missing the brain tomouth filter, they sometimes saythings that are better left unsaid ❞

Sagittarius is missing the brain to
mouth filter, they sometimes say
things that are better left unsaid

❝ Sagittarius is missing the brain tomouth filter, they sometimes saythings that are better left unsaid ❞

IT SHOULDN'T HAVE bothered me so much but it did. The thought was tattooed in the back of my mind, ruthlessly reminding me whenever I looked into his russet brown eyes.

He had never said those three words. Not once since we'd been together for four months and it was pretty sad. I didn't even know if he loved me or not, and that bothered me because I knew he wasn't some robot, he had emotions.

I saw his sadness when he talked about his dad during the storm. I saw his anger when he played football and messed up a tackle. I saw his happiness when he'd first transferred to my school. I saw his passion when he'd grabbed me and kissed me.

But love? Right. I mean, what did I expect, that our arranged match (which was unconditionally permanent) to each other would be based on love? How silly of me.

I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt since his dad had just died but another month had passed and nothing had changed.

Until things finally started to turn around on a sunny Friday afternoon.

Mars came up beside me as I walked to my second class and asked randomly, "Hey, what are you doing after school?"

"Nothing, why?"

"There's a trail by the mall if you want to go for a hike. There are a lot of good views, too."

"Who's coming?" It better not be Fiona.

"Just us."

That sounded too good to be true. Mars hadn't asked me out on a date that didn't include football or his whole pack of friends in what seemed like years.

I nodded eagerly, "Yeah, that sounds fun!"

"We'll stop by the house if you need to change," he kissed me on the cheek and I smiled, "I'll see you later."

It was about time he asked me out on a date without anyone tagging along. I'd started to think that he'd forgotten we were dating in the first place.