bonus ⁴⁵

❝ But the universe is infinite ❞

But the universe is infinite

ON THE FIRST SATURDAY of each September, my town held its own Founder's Day

The day commenced with a parade where people of all professions—like police officers, teachers, firefighters, yoga instructors, karate masters, Girl Scouts, and band players—threw candy and marched on the main road. After, everyone would set up tents in the center of town and celebrate under the summer sun.

Businesses tried to spread their audience by holding raffles and handing out free stuff. The local TV station would host singers and comedians, which filled the air with their loud voices. Church people would hand out mini bibles next to the robotics club who were showing off their latest creations. The most popular tent UNICEF had face paint, henna, and a bake sale.

School classes would sell their merchandise to raise money for student council. Our grade was doing a dunk tank this year, while the ones below us did kissing booths and games to win a goldfish. Except the freshmen, who didn't really have a tent.

The three of us usually strolled through the whole thing twice; the first to get free stuff and the second to actually spend money.

Kingston elbowed me in the arm as we passed by a row of green tents.

"Hey, they're giving away popcorn at the gardening club,"

"No way. You'll be stuck there for half an hour." All they talked about was plants, plants, and plants. Not worth some stale popcorn.

"They have cotton candy at the knitting club," Sky pointed out and I stuck out my tongue.

"Why is all the good stuff at boring places?"

"Because they're trying to bribe you," said Kingston.

We got to the school fundraising row next. They usually didn't have any free stuff but lots of five dollar games.

"The grade below us is doing a kissing booth." Sky said.

"I heard they couldn't find enough people to do it so they begged people from our grade." Kingston laughed.