chapter ³⁴

❝ Capricorns are always prepared

Capricorns are always prepared.
They not only have a plan B,
but they also have a plan C, D, E, and F

THE BALMY SCENT OF FRESH flowers invaded my nose and brightened my morning

I peaked one eye open and saw a vibrant bouquet sitting on the floor next to me. A gold rose, blue hydrangea, caramel lily, violet orchid, white carnation, and orange sunflower were all sitting in a tall glass.

When I woke up, Cade was on the floor washing his paintbrushes in a bucket of water.

"Good morning, sleepyhead," he said cheerfully and I did a full body stretch.

"Good morning, the flowers smell so good."

"I didn't know which was your favorite so I got one of each."

"That's so sweet," I smiled and touched each flower. I finally settled on the blooming sunflower and picked it up, "And by the way, sunflower's are my favorite."

"Good to know."

"What's the special occasion?"

"No reason."

I smiled, "Oh, come on. Now I'm curious."

"There's no reason. I just thought they were pretty." He shrugged.

"Are you sure it's not because graduation would've been today?"

"You remembered, too, huh?"

"How could I not. It's the first day of the Sagittarius sun." My lucky month, after all. I may have had a terrible sense of time but I knew when it was my sign's reign.

It was hard to believe it'd only been one month since we left. Time felt like it was going too fast and too slow at the same; like we'd been our whole lives but also like we'd moved all of our stuff here just yesterday. Some of our bags were still sitting on the floor unpacked.

"Do you regret not making it to graduation?" He asked and I had to think about it.

We never got to wear our cap and gown or hear our names being called and walk across the stage to get our diplomas. We never got to take pictures with our parents or friends and say we finally made it.