chapter ¹⁸

❝ Virgos often feel they are surroundedby idiots 99% of the time ❞

Virgos often feel they are surrounded
by idiots 99% of the time

❝ Virgos often feel they are surroundedby idiots 99% of the time ❞

MARS' HOUSE WAS too perfect. The master bedroom his mother had given me was too comfortable, the private bathroom down the hall with the red tiles was too clean, and the endless buffet of food we'd had for dinner was just too delicious. Everything was too nice and I was constantly reminded that I wasn't in my own house.

The house was always noisy, even at six o'clock in the morning. Apparently Diamonique worked long hours starting at seven so Mars was in charge. Side note, they had six cars; one for each of their children and an extra that Diamonique's job gave her for travelling. I mean, did they really need that many cars?

"My mom won't be home until nine tonight so we're going out to eat." Mars told me at school lunch and I smiled excitedly at the thought of us finally being alone. Don't get me wrong, Mars' siblings were fun and all but we never got any alone time. It felt like I was dating his whole family, which was less than ideal.

Suddenly, Fiona sat down across from me and started talking rapidly, "Char, I'm so sorry to be the one to tell you this but you didn't make the team. I really tried to advocate for you but the girls just wouldn't listen."

"That's okay." I hadn't actually expected to make the team, especially when they said there were only three spots open and about fifty girls vying for them. But it was kind of sad that I was so out of shape. My legs were so sore right now and we'd only done about two hours of cheerleading.

"I think it was because you were the last to finish the mile. And because you couldn't keep up with the first routine, which is usually the easiest. And you refused to be lifted. I'm so sorry." Fiona kept talking and I just wanted to shut her up. I didn't want Mars to hear how bad I was.

"I'm good. Really. It's not the end of the world."

"Are you sure? Because I want you to feel welcome—"