Black Equation - Chapter 26*

Chapter 26

Three knocks awakened Faye from her zombie-like stupor.

She slowly opened her eyes, blankly gazing at the intricate patterns of the bleached ceiling without blinking. Her visitor entered her room, but she didn’t move a muscle. She already knew who it was. The stealthy, muted footsteps told her so. He sighed as he approached her.

She didn’t want to see him. Couldn’t he understand? Her fury had not yet subsided. She had told him before, but he kept coming back.

“Faye.”

She refused to acknowledge his presence. She deliberately closed her eyes.

“I brought your breakfast.”

She heard the sounds of porcelain and utensils. Suddenly, the room was filled with the delicious scent of freshwater prawn sautéed in butter and chicken teriyaki. They smelled wonderful, but to her, they were as appetizing as tofu, cauliflower and lima beans.

“Aren’t you hungry?”

She didn’t respond.

“You haven’t tasted anything for days.” His voice sounded hollow, pained. “Do you plan to starve yourself to death?”

Faye kept on ignoring him. He sat on the bed and patiently waited beside her, tracing circles on the palm of her upturned hand.

“You must be thirsty. I have water here with me, but if you prefer, I could get you juice.”

He held her face and made her look at him. Their gazes met, but her green eyes were glassy and blank. Dark shadows encircled them, very apparent against her alabaster white skin. Her pale lips were dry and cracked. Her breaths were shallow and ragged. He couldn’t stand the sight of it.

“Please stop this, Faye. You’re wasting yourself.” He was whispering, almost to himself. His usual monotone was broken by strangled sobs. Faye remained unaffected although she felt his warm tears on her skin. He removed his fingers on her face and went back to holding her hand. When he felt someone came in, he stiffened. His face instantly turned into a mask devoid of any emotions.

“How is she, 06?”

He turned to the bespectacled man in white robe, but kept on drawing smooth circles on her skin.

“The same.” He indicated the untouched food on the table with a quick bob of his head. “Couldn’t you feed her through the tubes again? Return her to liquid diet. Her strength is failing her. She can’t even utter a word.”

The doctor chuckled.

“What?” he snapped.

“It’s not that she can’t. She has the strength, but won’t use it.” The older man walked to the other side of the bed and checked her pulse. “Now, Miss Faye, even though the technology here in Creed is a hundred years more advanced than normal, we couldn’t help you recuperate if you don’t help yourself.” He turned towards the machines beside the bed and adjusted something. “Look at 06. He was surprisingly obedient in his treatment so he recovered within two weeks. He was in a worse shape than you, remember? You can do better than him. Just help us help you.”

“Can she hear you, 07?”

“She can.” The older man replied with a pleasant tone.

“Can she understand you?”

07 shook his head but answered, “Of course.” He jotted something on his notes. “She’s not a mental patient, 06. Your worry is needless.”

“Then why is she not speaking? Maybe a part of her brain was damaged when she fell.”