Black Equation - Chapter 22*

Chapter 22

“It’s me you want, Falcon. Just me, hear that?”

His voice was cold and calculating. He was filled with repugnant indignation, fury burning within his veins. He couldn’t accept how sloppy he had become. The filthy vermin managed to seize her in front of him and he wasn't able to do anything; he must’ve truly lost his edge.

Faye seemed fine behind the assassin’s tall frame. She was a mess. It was as if she got herself caught in the middle of a terrible storm, which was true – figuratively. Her clothes were half-destroyed, showing a bit too much skin for his liking. She must be feeling very cold. She appeared paler than usual and hurt, but at least the vermin spared her life. He knew he shouldn’t worry. The Japanese guy beside him would know what to do. They’ve talked it over. 06 would care for Faye in his stead. He just needed to distract the vermin.

Damn!

 If only he learned earlier the contents of 04 and 06’s mission, this would have been avoided. Because there was too little information to work on, he didn’t realize until it was too late that Falcon was targeting him. If only he knew sooner, he would have excused himself and stayed away from Faye.

It was partly his fault, he admitted. He hid himself. He had cut all his connections with Creed. How long had it been since he personally reported back at the base? Four years? Five? Plus he didn’t get along with the others and refused to team up with any of them. He barely knew them so he couldn't get in touch with any of them. When was the last time he met a fellow Equation? It was before the current 04 joined in.

But that’s not the issue right now.

He focused on the decadent man standing before him. He didn’t like the haughty smirk on Falcon’s face – a harbinger of danger, he knew – and was determined to know the reason behind the rare sight. He hadn’t done anything to Faye, had he?

He risked another glance at her, but her face remained composed. It was disquieting him for obvious reasons. It was not an expression he anticipated she would have. Did the vermin, perhaps, drug her?

Falcon suddenly disappeared from his line of sight, leaving nothing but footprints on the wet grass.

“Have you forgotten the basics –” He instinctively jumped to his left, dodging Falcon’s electric attack just in time. “– never to look away from the enemy?”

Sharp pain coursed throughout his whole body as Falcon manipulated the size of the current from behind. He writhed in agony, but refused to let a sound escape his lips. He wouldn’t give him the satisfaction he wanted.

“Revenge is ecstasy,” he heard him say. “Fight me, you wuss. What? Afraid to show the senorita your true nature?”

 Falcon paced around him, the left side of his face lit in ostensible triumph. The grotesque part of his face was sneering in contempt. 01 slowly stood up, the same burning displeasure fueling him. He flexed his arms, his hands, and then his fingers. Three short knives appeared on his right hand.

He hadn’t felt this way for a long time, but there was no mistake. He knew this abhorrent yet thrilling sensation pulsing through him. He wanted to kill this man. He wanted this human trash dead. But first, he should remind him of what he was capable of doing.

He abruptly kicked him in the gut and struck his chest with the knives, but both of them were sent flying towards the ground. His hands and soles were burnt. Falcon had allowed high-voltage electricity to run on his skin. Meaning: close-range attacks were out of the question.