Black Equation - Chapter 2*

Chapter Two

It was a bit too cold for a September morning. The town was quiet, lazy, like any other small towns in the countryside. Suddenly, the silence was disturbed by a loud rumbling of a motor engine. The early risers – joggers, workers alike – whipped their heads towards the source of the noise, a shiny black motorcycle.

The motorcycle veered into the open gates of Academia de La Consolacion. Without waiting for it to slow down, a black-haired girl held her bag against her chest and jumped off into the pebbled path on the garden.

"Hey! That's dangerous!" yelled her companion as the motorcycle screeched to a stop. He pulled his helmet off, a disapproving frown on his tanned face.

"I perfectly pulled that stunt three times in my last movie. It was easy-peasy," the girl smiled cheekily.

"You could have hurt yourself!"

"Do you really have to shout that loud?" she snapped while she removed her head gear and tossed it to him with an annoyed look. "Look here, Jared. I'm not a child for you to babysit. That maneuver was a piece of cake."

Jared simply sighed as he parked the bike into an empty space beside a glossy red BMW. "You know what, I am wondering whether you are really a human or a monkey."

"We share the same ancestors, biologically speaking," retorted Faye as she rolled her eyes. "Come on, let’s hurry. We still have to go to the office to get our papers."

“Like I didn’t know that.”

“Shut up.”

She yanked Jared's arm impatiently. Jared simply frowned, annoyed by the fact that this girl was doing things on a whim again. Though, he was more annoyed with himself, as he was not doing anything to stop her. At least not successfully. She's spoiled, but what could he do? He liked the impulsive brat.

"I'm going to miss your hair," he blurted out, feeling sentimental all of a sudden. Her once long wavy reddish brown hair was changed into straight black layers just below her shoulders. She had bangs too and a pair of black contact lenses, just to complete her disguise.

"Aww... you shouldn't," she flashed an overly sweet smile. "You can go bald, and I won't even feel a thing."

"I would limit my bitchiness, if I were you,” he smirked lopsidedly, and she felt a flutter under her ribcage. She squashed it before it could reflect on her face. “You wouldn't want to spoil our first day as seniors and have our secret out of the bag, right?"

She stopped walking. "You wouldn't dare.”

"Trust me. I will,” he chided, silently enjoying her tomato red face.

"Huh! Now I'm wondering why I have to put up with a demon like you." She stomped away leaving Jared behind, who called "You're going the wrong way!" with a victorious grin.

*** 

Faye angrily stormed the Administration Office. That Jared Austin Hudson! His nerves! His ego! Ugh! He’d been annoying the hell out of her since this morning. First, he set her alarm clock at three in the morning and hid it under her bed. And then, and then, he even had the audacity to eat her chocolate pancakes!

Bad vibes, go away, she mentally chanted before she took a good look around.

The place was tidy, and somehow, too cozy for an educational institution. This was not what she expected, but glad that it was far from the stereotype. On the desk, a smiling nun welcomed her.