Black Equation - Chapter 7*

Chapter Seven

Two more hours, she thought. Just two fast-approaching hours.

She tapped her fingers on the plastic desk in a rhythmic pattern, disturbed by the meaning of the words that escaped his lips. It felt like an execution to her, a punishment she didn't deserve, but she couldn't do anything to escape. She knew she was powerless against him. If she runs now, he could easily find a way to drag her back. She knew that if she was to disobey him, he would punish her. Not her physically, but those around her. She knew. She could read it in his eyes. She didn't need his words for confirmation.

She couldn't stop worrying about how rapid time flew. The voices of her teachers and classmates were like a buzzing noise on the background. They didn't make any sense to her, no matter how much she tried to pay attention. She could hear nothing but her own heartbeat, thudding loudly in her chest, filling her ears, all too aware that they were about to beat their last.

Each tick of the second hand of the wall clock was significant to her. It was a countdown of her life. She literally glanced at her wrist watch every five minutes, while fidgeting in her seat. She thought no one would notice her agitation, but her seatmate was aware of her wrong behavior.

Jared watched her face as different expressions shifted by. He couldn't fathom the reason behind her uneasiness, but he knew it all started since the new student approached her. He was leaning against the wall in the opposite side of the room when Hanade Minamoto wove his way away from the crowd, and isolated her. He saw him bent close to her, like close friends, and whispered something. Suddenly, Faye's expression grew horrified, her face turned ashen.

He went to her side in an instant, but she refused to speak. When he asked Hanade, he simply smiled in response and left the party. He waited for the Japanese guy to return, but the teacher arrived before he did. He had no chance to talk to him.

*****

"Selena!" Jared called when classes were over. She heard him, but instead of stopping, she hurried away from the room. He ran after her, though he was a second too late. She was already inside her car. He knocked on the windows, but the glass simply vibrated under his fists.

"Open this up! What's wrong with you!?" He pounded louder, his voice drowned by the purr of the engine. "Screw you! If you don't open up, you're gonna regret this."

The car sped away, despite his protests and much to his exhaustion. The other students ignored him, while other gossiped, as he was left standing on the empty parking space. Something vibrated on his pocket. He wearily pulled it out, and saw a message from Faye. Voice mail.

This is for the best. Thank you for everything.  

You don't how much you mean to me, Jared.  

I'm sorry for being so stupid and for causing trouble.  

I'm sorry that I can't say this personally to you.  

I'm such a chicken; I can't even be honest to myself.

Sorry I ran. I should have kissed you back.

Goodbye, Jared. I love you.

"Damn it, Faye!" He raced towards his motorcycle and kicked the engine to life. "I don't know what's happening to you, but if you're gonna sound like a suicidal, damn it! I'm not gonna forgive you."