Black Equation - Chapter 13*

Chapter Thirteen

Alexey's last words echoed in her mind for the thousandth time, causing her head to throb once again. Her lack of sufficient rest was emphasized by the purplish shadows under her eyes, though faint underneath the skin tone concealer.

It was a self-study period for their first class; exactly what Faye dreaded. She wanted to escape from her haunting thoughts through academics. She hoped that by diverting her attention, she would be able to momentarily get away from the painful knowledge. Luck hadn't smiled at her. Seeing her totally oblivious classmates, her internal battle worsened.

Her tired eyes swept past their classroom, looking at everyone with keen perceptiveness. Who among them? If only she pried for more information, if only Alexey disclosed to her the true contents of their mission, she would at least feel less stressed. She didn't know the target's identity.

Was it bubbly Cathy? She was always so upbeat and nice. If it was her, how should Faye react?

Maybe Daniel? Daniel the joker, Jared's closest male friend? He who was constantly jibing about Faye and Jared's true relationship? What if it was him?

Or the ever-responsible Patricia? She was always stern, but she never forgot the welfare of her fellow classmates, be it a friend or a bitch. She was a nice girl. She didn't deserve a death sentence.

Her eyes moved towards Gherylle. She spoke so rarely one would probably think she's mute, but deep inside she's the gentlest and kindest person Faye met. It couldn't be her, right?

How about Jess? Ted and Fred? Ahmed and the others? They shared tons of happy memories as a class, although fleeting and plain. For Faye, they were valuable moments.

Everyone deserved to live.

If a single face was to be taken out from this picture, the magic would be completely lost... aside from the poker-faced guy who sat at the back. A guy who failed to become part of the class. A guy who forcefully isolated himself.

Hanade was lost in his own world, feigning to be busy with a book. His eyes were wary but dead. Faye, for the first time, saw the loneliness that lies deep within him. Those midnight black eyes she thought hostile and detached... actually were hardened by the life he led.

Assassin…

Her realization jolted her.

Why didn't she saw this sooner? There was longing in his face. He wanted to make friends. He wanted to live like a normal person, just like Faye. He wanted a life of his own, but was chained by his dark past.

Faye remembered his actions back then. He had saved her twice, both the clinic and the park incidents. He had shown her his humane side. Hadn't she known that there was kindness in him, all along? She have undoubtedly felt it, but rejected it due to her prejudice...

He didn’t want to be an assassin.

"Hel-lo? Selena to earth, do you read me?" Jess spoke in an irritated manner. Her short red curls bounced on her plush cheeks. Faye's attention abruptly turned back to reality.

"What?" she stammered. Her thoughts were a mess.

"Told you, she's off to la-la-la land again," Cathy grinned mischievously. Everyone laughed, even Jared, making Faye flush deep red.

"I'm not," she lied, fumbling over her words. "It -it's just that I am-"

"We're used to it," Jared remarked, still grinning. "No need for excuses."