Black Equation - Chapter 14*

Chapter 14

 “Morning,” she greeted enthusiastically, opening her door just in time to see Jared frozen mid-step. He was surprised that he was easily discovered – despite the fact that he was cautious as he approached her door. It's only quarter past five in the morning, way too early for her to be up. He wanted to scare her when she comes out, but it turned out to be a failure. She was more observant than what he gave her credit for.

The sizzling sound in the background emphasized his confusion. She chuckled at his awry reaction – it was priceless. “What brings you here, Jumbo? “

“Are you trying to irritate me to death?” was his immediate retort, his instinct whenever she calls him that.

“Not really,” she beamed exultantly, “but close enough, Jumbo.”

She messed his hair and ran. It was a challenge. Game on.

“Why you little freak!” He played along, chasing after Faye inside her room like kids. Jared was quick, but Faye had the upper hand. She was sly – throwing random things on the floor – making Jared stumble a couple of times. As soon as Jared caught her into his arms, he pulled her up and they fell into the couch. Both of them were laughing and panting at the same time.

Faye could feel his racing heart under her touch. She leaned closer, nestled her head on his chest and listened contentedly. In return, his hands gently stroke her head.

“What’s for breakfast?” he asked after a while, a dark glint in his eyes.

At first, she was confused. It was as if she forgot everything outside their small private world. “Oh!”

Faye wrinkled her nose, scrambling back to her feet in a second. She rushed towards the direction of her kitchen almost tripping herself. Her favorite bacon had turned black already, toasted beyond salvation. It was emitting an unappetizing smell, enough to make her stomach churn.  How could she forget she was cooking? The burnt meat was immediately out of the pan. She was shaking her head as she muttered something about wasting food, but immediately pulled out the tray of eggs from her fridge.

“Have you eaten?”

“That depends,” he grinned. Faye rolled her eyes. She knew his game. If she cooks omelet, he’s going to eat. If otherwise, he would not.

“Starve yourself, Jumbo,” she laughed. “I’m gonna do sunny side-ups.”

“How mean.”

“I’m mean?” she sniffed, feigning hurt. She then tensed for a spring and tackled Jared, pinning him to the ground. Her laughter was contagious, making both of them look like idiots on the floor.

*****

Their unnatural light-heartedness didn’t escape their classmates’ attention.

“What’s with you two?” asked Cathy as they take their seat at the usual spot. She placed her tray on the table, but her eyes were focused on Jared who was still in line.

“Hmm?” Faye turned to her with wide bright eyes and a small smile, a lollipop inside her mouth.

“I’m telling you,” Jess butted in, “don’t mind her. Her attention span merely lasts for five seconds.”

Faye pulled the candy out of her mouth, a small furrow between her brows. “Ha ha. Very funny.”

“Like hell, I’ve been talking to you since eternity,” Jess scowled, “and you weren’t even listening!”