Black Equation - Chapter 29*

Chapter 29

13’s voice was only one step above a whisper, and deadly. She felt the thin cold blade pressed sharply against her throat. She suppressed a whimper by biting her lower lip. One wrong move and she’s gone. She couldn’t even run away. His strong rough hands held her securely; she was his captive.

“Answer me,” he growled, tightening his grip on her.

She opened her mouth to respond but her voice refused to come out. She knew that she couldn’t move her head; the blade would slit her. She felt like she’s really going to die.

Her head pounded in a way that made her stomach sick.

Help.

Anyone, please.

I don’t want to die… not yet.

Suddenly, the throbbing and swelling presence inside her burst forth. She gasped as the power within her exploded, heeding her call. 13 saw the blade of his knife disintegrate into fine ashes.

“What the – ?”

Before Faye realized what was happening, she saw 13 jumping away from her in haste. He was aghast, his eyes wide in disbelief. Faye’s heart hammered in her chest as tears swelled in her eyes. She immediately wiped them off before they had the chance to fall.

Though she didn’t understand, she knew this would be her only chance to explain. “S-Sorry! I d-didn’t me-mean to... I just… I just want to talk…”

The silver-haired man shot her a fierce scowl, his eyes scrutinizing her in a very methodological way. She saw a glint of recognition in his eyes, but it quickly disappeared that she might have simply imagined it.

“Leave,” he barked in his raspy voice.

“No!” she shouted back, but then realizing her mistake, said her next words carefully. “I didn’t mean to sound harsh. It’s just that –“

“Leave!” 13 thundered. A new set of knives suddenly appeared on his hands. “Or I’ll skin you alive!”

Faye knew by the sound of his voice that he was not joking. It was a plain threat. She involuntarily retreated. She felt something warm tumble down her cheeks so she wiped her eyes dry again, angry that her tears would betray her.

“No.” She took one quick breath, meeting a direct glare from him. She desperately wanted to crawl away, or maybe let the ground swallow her whole, but she knew she needed to ask him.

It’s now or never.

“I’m Faye Summers,” she managed to choke out without stuttering. “You remember me.” It was not a question, just a statement of a fact.

“No,” he replied in a menacing tone. He stood a good distance away from her, his whole body tense.

“Then why did you save me from Denna?”

“I didn’t.”

“Why are you lying?”

“Why should I lie?” he retorted angrily, but it was obvious that his muscles were slowly relaxing.

He abruptly turned around to leave but froze before he managed to take a step. The large black boulder sitting on top of the spring magically disappeared. Not even a single piece of it was left.

He returned his gaze to Faye, his eyes clearly showing awe. But she didn’t see that. Her vision was clouded with dark rage.

“I’m so tired of this!” she screamed, finally losing her cool. “Why is this happening to me? Why won’t anyone tell me anything? Why does everyone hide things from me? Why? WHY?!”