Black Equation - Chapter 5*

Chapter Five

"Aargh!"

Without second thoughts, she stepped on the gas pedal and drove away. She couldn't bear to stay longer in that absurd place, so she decided to go to school. Late or not, it didn't matter to her. She wanted company. She's afraid to be alone in her room again. It made her feel cramped, suffocated. She wanted a change in the atmosphere.

Her glossy car caught everyone's attention as she went inside the academy.

"Oh damn. I forgot I'm not supposed to drive this," she sighed as she turned the engine off. She lazily climbed down her conspicuous car, feeling idiotic all of a sudden. Why didn't she realize that sooner? She eyed her wristwatch. Eleven - thirty. "Oh well. I should head to the cafeteria."

As she walked down the aisle, she noticed everyone staring at her. She tried to ignore them without success.

'What? Is there dirt on my face? Am I wearing the wrong match of clothes?" she mused as she went to the powder room. She walked quicker now, since the other students were coming out for lunch. She turned the knob and found the restroom empty.

"Crap!" she howled as she saw her reflection. She immediately locked the door and went back in front of the mirror. She forgot to wear her contacts and glasses! Everyone could easily identify her, even with her different hairstyle. She snatched her bag open, and gladly took out her pouch. It's a real fortunate thing her best friend prepared an extra pair for her. He was always so thoughtful.

She hastily and deftly placed her black contacts over her green irises. She blinked thrice, making sure they won't fall.

"I'll give him credit for this. I need to forgive him," she said to herself. She remembered it was one of the reasons why she came to school. She placed her glasses on, unlocked the door and stepped out.

*****

She entered the noisy cafeteria and went around searching for her classmates. She knew they always flocked together, like birds. She looked from side to side, and saw them on the farthest side of the room. The one she was looking for was there too. Jared was sandwiched between the two Harley twins, Ted and Fred. She took a step towards them, but was bumped on the shoulder by a very tall guy.

"Sorry," he apologized as he held her arms. She swayed for a bit, but soon regained balance.

"No, I wasn't looking –"

Upon meeting his gaze, she froze. Her pallid skin became as cold as ice.

She couldn't remove her gaze from him. It was like she was caught in a black hole. His black hole, and was unable to resist the pull of his immense gravity. His eyes were a pair of pitch black orbs. She felt the air of her lungs gushing out of her. It couldn't be...

It was him.

*****

"Miss, are you okay?" His voice was flat, with no tinge of worry although the girl went limp in his arms. Her eyes were half-closed, and she was completely still. He stared at her for a moment, a bit too composed for the situation, and finally lifted her out of the room.

His lips were set in a thin line as the students murmured behind his back. He didn't mind them, and went straight to the clinic. He wanted to leave the girl at once. He wasn't supposed to make any contact with anyone. This was not on his list.

The infirmary was within sight. He uncomfortably carried her on one arm and knocked. No one answered so he just went in. The room was cold. The air conditioner was on its maximum but no one was in there. He wrinkled his nose in annoyance. He decided to place her on the nearest white bed. He left her there.