Black Equation - Chapter 11 (Part 2)*

Chapter Eleven (II)

"Faye?"

"Coming." She laid down her book and the draft of the paper which was due on Friday. Taking her time to stretch, she reluctantly pushed herself off from the couch. She opened her door, quite surprised to see Jared with his books.

"Whoa. What's up?"

"Er, is it okay to study with you?"

She let out a soft peal of laughter, tugging Jared's arm inside her room. She closed her door soundlessly. "Did you upset your stomach or something? This is so unlike you."

"I just thought you'd want some help over Trig."

"I could handle math pretty well." She stuck her tongue out like a five-year old. She went straight to her kitchen, taking out some snacks off her refrigerator. "Thanks but no thanks, Mr. Genius."

"Get me some beer while you're at it."

"What? But you’re so young! I think I have here some baby formula for you," she joked from the other room. She came back carrying two slices of chocolate cake, a glass of orange juice and a can of root beer.

"Don't you have real beer?"

"I’m not a fan of underage drinking," she glared.

"Chill, baby."

Faye settled herself on her carpeted floor, pulling out her small red laptop from underneath her desk. She ignored Jared's annoying jibes. She knew he came here for reasons not school-related at all. For half an hour, he kept on talking nonstop. She couldn't concentrate at all on her homework.

"You know," she interrupted him from his nonsensical remarks about youth, "you're disturbing me. If you want to say something, just spit it out. Don't give yourself a brain hemorrhage."

Succeeding the silence that seemed like eons, he sighed. "I'm sorry, Faye."

"What's bugging you?" she asked in a concerned tone. She turned around to face him. Jared was uneasy, but after staring at her soft emerald eyes, he smiled. Or at least, he tried.

"Do you remember your message?"

It took Faye the length of a heartbeat to realize what he was talking about. She could feel her cheeks warming up. To hide her embarrassment, she dropped her gaze to the tiled floor. How could she forget? The voice mail. It was the message she sent that day she thought was her last. It was the irrevocable proof of her true feelings for her best friend. She thought he had forgotten about it. Why was he bringing it up now?

Suddenly, she could feel his breath on her skin. He was on the carpet now, his face mere inches from hers. His pale blue eyes were sincere, holding the gravity of a galaxy. She couldn't look away.

"Does that mean... that you're finally mine?"

She couldn't hear anything aside from the frantic beating of her own heart, her gasp-like breathing and the echoes of his question. What should she say? A part of her brain was screaming a yes, while the other said was saying otherwise.

Yes! Yes! I love him so much! I couldn't find a better guy! her love-struck mind yelled.

Her more rational self answered, No. Tell him to give you more time. Sort out the problem with Hanade first.

What should she say? Her thoughts were slipping away as she inhaled his sweet breath. His gentle fingers were tracing the line of her jaw, while his left hand was squeezing her right hand on the carpet. Both of them jumped as they heard the doorbell rang, followed by Faye's cellphone.

"Uh, c-could you check out who's on the door? It must be the maintenance," she said with a shaky voice. No good. She was disoriented. Jared kissed her nose, stood up and went for the door while she fumbled over her phone.

Unknown number.

Her face was so hot. "H-Hello?"

"Sorry to disturb your moment." The cold voice completely snatched all good vibes she had accumulated.

Fear crawled on her spine. It was undoubtedly Hanade Minamoto. How did he know her number?

"Don't let anyone in."

"What –“

She turned around, a scream building in her throat. Jared was lying limply on the floor. A man about two or three years older than her was standing beside him. He had a blonde hair that was almost white in color and had a sinister grin on his face. He spun to fully face Faye.

She dropped her phone.

"Nice to meet you, Gifted. I'm 04."