Black Equation - Chapter 3*

Chapter Three

"They said that she was killed and her corpse was buried somewhere..."

"That's gross!" a girl voiced out.

"Who's killed?" Faye asked Daniel as soon as she entered the room. More like skipped. Her eyes were bright after overhearing their conversation. Finally, she thought in excitement, a real high school conversation with my peers!

She had a goofy smile on her face as she went to the bunch of early birds, leaving her bag on a desk. Jared, who was just behind her, picked her things and tossed it to the table nearby. He clicked his tongue with disapproval on her carefree attitude. She mistook his seat to be hers. How very typical of her. He trudged towards Faye's side.

"Hey, it's just a rumor," Ted told her as soon as she's in the circle. He elbowed Daniel right on the ribcage. "Don't believe this guy."

"What? Are you talking about a mystery novel? Serial killer movie?" Faye looked eagerly at them. "Horror story?"

"Whoa. Calm down. What are you, on sugar-rush?" Jared placed his hands on top of Faye's head. She shrugged him off with a scowl.

"Well, it has been weeks since Faye Summers disappeared. I heard from my police uncle in NY that she was probably dead," Daniel explained as he rubbed the sore spot Ted elbowed. "Half of the NYPD units were mobilized for the search."

"Isn't it a kidnapping case?" blurted Jared, playing along. He had read one such rumor from a magazine. Daniel only shrugged in response.

"What I got was different. There was this reliable website that said that she eloped with her non-showbiz boyfriend." As Fred spoke, he pulled out his laptop and after as few minutes showed them his evidence. There was a picture from a CCTV camera of two people leaving the back door.

"It's so blurred. Hardly real proof," Jared mused. He knew who those two were. He kind of felt glad that he was not the only blonde in the group.

"That's crap, Fred. Everyone knows she's going out with that Jamey Bryan guy," Cathy said as she joined the conversation.

"No she's not," Ted argued. "It was just a hoax. She's single."

"I don't believe it."

"Another website said that she was targeted by her enemies who envied her success," Fred commented as he searched the Google.

"But a friend of mine said –“

"Sheesh... You guys gossip like old women," Faye rolled her eyes and made a dismissive gesture with her hands. "What's so special about this singer?"

She showed no hint of interest in the topic although she was hysterical inside. Jared knew better.

These guys must be idiots. She is literally in front of them, Jared thought, hiding a grin of his own. But the others took the bait. They eyed each other for a while until Daniel cleared his throat.

''Hey guys, check her out." Daniel pointed Faye. "A non-fan. Should we convert her?"

"Are you serious?" Jared asked skeptically. "You are her fans?"

"Hell yeah!" Ted and Fred replied in unison. "Do you think we're lying?"

"The whole class totally loves her!" Cathy squealed. "Her album, Eternal, was played in this room like every fifteen minutes last year. The teachers couldn't do anything 'bout it. Everyone's addicted to it."

"Sounds like a drug," Jared whistled and sneaked a peek to the dumbfounded girl beside him. This was the first time Faye got the chance to hear an outside opinion face-to-face – without screaming or fainting fans.