Black Equation - Chapter 30*

Chapter 30

The twelve-year old Faye Summers quickly walked the expanse of the hallways, headed towards her dreaded next class. Her grip on her sling bag only grew tighter with each step. Even with a plain blue shirt and dark denim pants on, she remained different from the other students.

She was not tall, but anyone could easily pick her out from a distance. Her skin was alabaster white in color, making her look like some kind of rare porcelain doll. Her luscious mahogany hair cascaded into curls just below her shoulders, only adding a majestic effect. She has soft, dreamy green eyes that shifted tones depending on the source of light. With her good stature and graceful lithe movements, no one doubted that she seemed to belong to another world. Her beauty, even as young as she is, didn’t seem human at all.

For odd reasons, her lips were pressed together in a thin line, her brows creased together as if in worry.

Upon reaching the entrance of her English class, a blonde boy half a foot taller than her blocked her way. On his freckled face, a smirk was starting to emerge. His pale blue eyes watched her in a challenging fashion.

“Let me enter, jerk,“ she hissed without looking up.

The boy simply laughed.

“Or what, little soot face?“ he taunted.

Only he had the nerve to call her that. Little soot face. A perfectly groundless name he made just for the sake of irritating her. For what reason, she didn’t know.

Instead of retorting, she smiled sweetly at him. She had expected it – in fact, prepared for it. Without innuendos, her heavy bag swung to him, hitting him square on the jaw.

Their noisy classmates became silent in surprise, and then laughter erupted.

"Know your place, Hudson."

With that, she went for her seat, leaving the thirteen-year old Jared Hudson cursing by the doorway.

*

"Hey! That's mine!"

"Says who?"

"Says me!"

Faye glared at him. He glared back. Their other classmates had already left the oval track, eager to escape their last class. Only they were left behind.

"It's obviously my win this time, Hudson."

He snatched the bag of chips off her hand. "I ran it in two minutes flat. How can it be your win? Your time's five seconds longer."

Her emerald-colored eyes reflected her intelligence. With a sly smile, she pulled her white socks down, revealing a set of ankle weights. She lifted an eyebrow, accentuating her point.

Jared only smirked. He pulled his socks down too, revealing an identical set of ankle weights. Faye's eyes widened not only in surprise but also in disbelief.

"Do you have any more protests, little soot face?"

"Stop calling me that! I have a name!"

"Oh? Little miss loser?"

He paced away from her with the bag of prize in his hands, chuckling at his small accomplishment. Faye simply stayed, her anger slowly uncoiling. With a huff, she started towards the opposite direction.

He might have won this time, but she scored higher in their last Science exam. She was also awarded best in the interschool singing competition. Still, the stupid jerk managed to bring the school football team to the semi-finals. He also bested her in the Math exam, not to mention the race today.