Black Equation - Epilogue*

Thanks for reaching this part! Don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT! Every vote, every word, means a great deal to me as a writer. Not just here, but in all the chapters of this book.

Please do not forget to VOTE and COMMENT

I love you, my readers!

Epilogue

The sun had not yet risen, but the inky darkness that engulfed the narrow alleys was beyond the usual for the time of the day.  The gentle mountain breeze blew from the west, whispering eerily towards the outwardly deserted settlement. With those elements in her aid, she slid among the blackest shadows, running noiselessly as if she was a phantom herself.

The abnormal silence of the place made her edgy. That was not what she expected, not what they had planned. The shouting should have immediately followed as soon as the lights went out – but it never came. Despite that, she rushed in, keeping herself inconspicuous even from trained eyes, silently weighing the odds of the game.

Past the walls, the labored breaths of the unconscious guards were muted – but not to her. With her sensitive hearing, it seemed like they were talking loudly. But they weren’t. They couldn’t. She gagged them, after all.

What troubled her was the fact that no other sounds were perceptible. No voices, no footsteps, no gunshots. And this was supposed to be a heavily-armed concentration camp.

Where were the soldiers? The prisoners? She had merely encountered a few dozen men, but according to the reports, there were at least two hundred military men present, not to mention the five hundred convicts kept.

She memorized the blue print of the camp and she had covered half of it.

So where could they hide? Unless they escaped... Now, that’s a different issue.

A soft, metallic clunk echoed from afar. Pressing herself close to the wall, she dashed towards the source.

Something was terribly out of place.

Three knives suddenly sprung forth on her right hand while her left hand clutched the customized gun on her waist. Sensing the possible danger ahead, she continued to run stealthily. Upon reaching an intersection, she paused on her tracks. She crouched low, slightly tilting her head towards the source of the sound.

Someone was approaching.

Her breathing hitched and her throat squeezed uncomfortably. She tightly gripped the knives until she could feel the handles digging painfully on her palms. She ignored it as she readied to defend herself.

There were no footsteps to alarm her so she knew that the enemy was experienced; she couldn’t risk letting her guard down.

Oh, she could handle him. One person – no matter how fierce nor big – cannot possibly match her. She wouldn’t kill him. No, of course she wouldn’t. After all, it could be avoided. Only immobilize him, and then proceed with the mission.

In one swift movement, she accurately flicked her weapons to the man.

Majestic blue flames erupted and deflected the knives that she threw into the darkness.

“00,” came a low urgent voice.

She straightened at once, recognizing the man as her partner. “04.”

The young man nodded in quick response as he closed the distance between them. As he passed by the windows for a split-second, his midnight black hair glistened under the silver moonlight.