Black Equation - Chapter 21*

Chapter 21

Faye was surprised by the strong earthly smell embracing her senses and woke herself up in the process. Salt and rust together with the stench of dried leaves, musty wood and some wet grass, contrary to what she was used to every morning.

At first, she couldn’t see anything. She knew it was night time, still night time, and she’s somewhere outside. A part of her head was throbbing. She winced as she held the tender part and realized that the warm liquid on it was blood. Her joints and back also felt very sore, which she recalled was entirely Jared’s fault. She pushed herself out from what appeared to be a stone bench. She gasped at the sharp pain on her wrists, but managed push herself into a sitting position.

Where is she?

She shivered due to the cold breeze, and seeing how inappropriately dressed she was, she desperately rubbed her palms for warmth. The night sky cleared, showing the waxing moon for the first time.

She saw the tall trees surrounding her. A familiar scenery.

The park?

She remembered that she was abducted by Falcon. They jumped from the eighth floor of the building. Then… she fainted. It was a miracle she survived. When she closed her eyes that time, she thought she would never wake up for good.

“Don’t think about running away, senorita.”

Falcon was leaning against the tree directly behind her. He was watching her with dispassionate eyes.

“I’m not going to run,” she assured, worried about how she could speak so casually at a time like this. Perhaps Hanade was right. Something is wrong with her.

“Pity I’m specifically ordered not to touch a strand of your pretty head,” he sneered while he lit a stick of cigarette. “I like brave girls.”

Faye stared at him confused. “What? What do you mean? I’m not your target?”

Falcon’s eyes narrowed on her. “You think I’m after you? No. I took you as bait. So be a good senorita till he comes.”

“Bait?”

He dragged a whiff of his cigarette, “I don’t like talking much. Shut up your little mouth.”

“Falcon, I need answers. I’m so tired of being the only one not knowing anything.”

A glint of interest appeared on his eyes at the mention of his name.

“Are you aware that you’re my hostage and that I can snap your thin neck anytime?”

“Yeah,” she shrugged. “You have powers too. But that’s all I know.”

Falcon raised a thick brow, exhaled smoke through his nose. “01’s taste sure is weird. I couldn’t believe that he abandoned Creed for a retarded girl like you. But I think that’s the point. No one normal would ever like that wuss.”

She stared at him uncomprehending.

“01?” But she had only met 04 and 06, unless 01 was one of the teenagers in the party. She did a quick recall of their faces, but realized it was probably hopeless. Hanade and Alexey were so damn good at pretending, she bet that 01 was better, since he or she probably has the highest position among Equations.

Falcon’s forehead scrunched in annoyance, as if she was an idiot not to understand. Then he bawled, “You don’t know anything? Hudson said you were the informant.”