Chapter 8 - Soul Eater

“Where’s Aura?” I asked

“Who cares about that snobby dirt thing?” Ren butted in.

“Ren!”

“Fine. Fine.”

“Aura’s at home with my father.” 

As we both walked out into the dark, I started to sweat again from apprehension. Anything could dart out from the dark! The eyes!! Fear gripped me again and my shoulders tensed. My jaw clamped shut and I bit my lip to release the pent-up stress.

I could only hear our footsteps, the sound of shoe rubbing against the gravel and sand. The road was illuminated slightly with Andre’s lamp. I looked at the bright ring of light on the ground, trying to distract me from the darkness that loomed over.

Even though Andre was a calming presence, the blackness still scared me. Tingling with fear, I took deep breaths to calm me down. They always said exposure was the cure to phobias, but it wasn’t working! We did a left turn at a crossing and reached the part of the forest where it was all trees. That spooked me out more.

The leaves glowed the colour of lime under the yellow fluorescent rays from the lamp. The twigs and branches were a brown-yellow. I could clearly make out the rough edges of the bark. Shadows casted by the lamp looked scarier with the ever-changing scenery. Unwilling to let my senses take over, I took deep breaths and stretched my muscles. I swallowed and attempted to relax myself.

An owl hooted and I let out a squeak. Andre chuckled. The owl was speckled brown and under the light, the eyes were white.

It fluttered its wings and disappeared into the night. 

Trees casted shadows that looked like an army of monsters ready to attack. The leaves’ shadows looked like claws leaping out from the edge of the wilderness. A large insect buzzed and flew away. I was sweating again. Each tiny sound was sending my senses to the extreme.

-          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My familiar hissed when she saw Aria. It was obvious how scared Aria was. It was necessary though. It was necessary fear. Her fear was like the meals that fed my familiar and me. I could hear her heart beating so loudly and furiously.

“Quiet dear. Her time will come.” I stroked my familiar, Serpenta’s scaly skin. Serpenta hissed impatiently, wanting to lick Aria’s soul.

“We haven’t got to taste a young, pure White soul in centuries. With her soul, we can live for another 100 years.”

I breathed in the fear and let the fear become my drive to kill. It entered my veins and sent chills of anticipation down my spine. I laughed and a malicious smile lit my face. Necessary fear for us to feed on.

I had caught her scent and her soul would be mine. What a delicious, scrumptious, innocent soul just waiting on the platter, waiting to be devoured.

I will tear her rat familiar apart with my bare hands and watch her scream in fear. I will watch as her face scrunches up in horror as she begs for her life. I will be there to witness the very moment she realizes she wasn’t going to live anymore.

I will watch that flicker of hope vanish in her blue eyes.

Then I will take her soul.

My red eyes glowed. Aria and that rascal rat were with an outsider! I licked my lips in excitement. Another soul to eat. I became a Soul Eater when I was young. I had first witnessed my father, a twisted man take the soul of another. His whole body glowed blue as he swallowed in a misty silverly substance. I was wide eyed. I should have been repulsed, but being fed with evil since I was born, I smiled. I even laughed. I had just found a new way to live my life.