Chapter 10 - Crow Face

A new chapter :D 2013 is coming so happy new year! :) Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy it :) Thank you for the votes and comments, I really appreciate it. :D 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was around late afternoon and the sun’s rays were shining brightly through the windows, forming patches of orange light.

Ren was still talking non-stop and I was doing my best to keep up with him.

My eyelids shut down uncontrollably. My head was drooped forth before jerking back up when I caught myself falling asleep.

I yawned and fluid flushed to my eyes. It soothed my tired, sore eyes. I released my hair from the tight ponytail and let my limp strands of hair hang lifelessly over my shoulder. I took a deep breath and felt tension leave my body.

I hardly knew this place and was just walking wherever I felt like. It only took me one turn of my head to realise I was absolutely lost. Why was this place so huge again?

“Are you lost?” Ren asked.

“Yes, Mr. Obvious.”

“So…no food?” Ren’s voice was hopeful.

“No.” I gave Ren a face.

Ren was like a child most of the time, but he could occasionally give rather good advice. We two got along rather well, but there were many stark differences between us and I could not understand how we could even have a familiar-owner relationship.

I continued walking around aimlessly, pausing only to look at my surroundings. I was walking down a corridor with many windows, with orange rays pouring from the gaps. Most of the rooms were closed and locked. Surely there were people somewhere? I frowned. Maybe they hadn’t ended class yet.

The building consisted of three levels, with multiple corridors which you could get lost in. There were no labels, signs or anything to help you find your way. There were only two spiral stone staircases and they were difficult to find.

I supposed the kitchen would be somewhere at the first floor so I headed down immediately.

Each step sent waves of fatigue through my legs. My muscles were overused and were begging to rest.

A bell rang and I assumed that it signified the end of the day. Maybe there would be people coming back soon. I could ask them for help.

My thoughts were scattered all over the place and it was difficult to focus.

I stood at the first level, at the main door from which I came through, waiting for somebody to pass by.

Almost on cue, footsteps could be heard from the distance. Running. Somebody was running here rather hastily.

“Maybe he’s running to get good food.”

“How would you know he’s a ‘he’? It could be a ‘she’.” I reasoned.

“The sound of the footsteps are heavy and clumsy-sounding. Sounds like a reckless guy if you ask me.”

Ren did make sense.

A black-haired teenager came into my peripheral vision. He was wearing the normal trainee uniform. He wore cut-off gloves and thick boots.

“Uh…hello.” I cautiously approached him.

“Oh, so you’re the new girl. Ran here to see you…but I’m disappointed.” He looked at me from head to toe.

“Doesn’t seem like you have a lot of spunk in you.” He made a clear conclusion and folded his arms. He lifted his head up and smirked.