Chapter 24 - A confession

I headed back to the room, wishing to put my plan into action. I pondered over what I told Hope. Was it the best plan I could think of? What if it didn’t work..?

“We’ll be in the room next door. Let’s try to get some rest. Just scream or yell if you need anything.” Drey yawned, eager to get some rest. Bain and Raphael followed him suit. Raphael’s plant was nestled peacefully in the pot, looking happy to be back to normal. Why was he caring for a plant in this messed up situation? When did he even care for plants? He never mentioned a love for plants to me before. I contemplated giving back the plant but figured it could wait.

Janice and I sat down on the floor. She had gotten a kettle of hot chocolate to share. Deciding that I wouldn’t be able to sleep anyway, I accepted a cup. I needed some energy. I need to stay calm. If only Olyrir was here…He would know what to do. He was always the one with the plan. I forced myself to swallow the thick gooey liquid, taking deep breaths to soothe myself.

“Are you scared, Aria?” Janice’s voice was different. The tremor in her soft voice was unmistakable.

“Yes.”

“Can I ask you something? I know it’s probably the wrong time to ask this but…am I your friend, Aria?”

My eyes flickered up to meet her eyes. They were devoid of any specks of cheerfulness, replaced with a foreign fleck of doubt and sadness. It was strange to see her like this, unlike her happy self.

“Is it because I’m not real?” She added.

“What are you talking about?”

“I mean…I’m always cheerful, with no worries at all.”

“Well…I really don’t think it’s the right time for this and-”

“Please just listen to me. I lost my whole village and I didn’t manage to say goodbye. I…I won’t make that same mistake again. Why won’t you accept me? I’m trying my best…” Tears made Janice’s eyes glitter like tiny gemstones.

“I wish I could have been blind to all this suffering. All this pain. It hurts so much. They always say that it’ll go away, but it never does. This pain, this everlasting ache, it destroys me. Do you know how it feels, Aria?”

I fidgeted uncomfortably. Was this a ploy to deceive me? What if she was telling the truth all along?

How many things do I have to do wrong before I can do something right? I’m…afraid to know the answer. I reach in to give her a hug, uncertainly.

“I’m sorry.”

“I’m sorry I’m like this now…I can’t-” Janice sniffled, her words turning into mindless babbles.

I brought this upon everyone, didn’t I? Everything is my fault. If anyone should die, it should be me…right? I bit my lip until I tasted blood. The coppery taste filled my mouth and I stopped. But I can’t…I can’t.

I peered over Janice’s shoulders, staring into the open. The air smelled like morning dew, chilly and faintly sweet. It must almost be morning.

I heard a crackling sound and I froze.

What was that?

I pulled out from the hug, fear engulfing me like a tidal wave. A lump at my throat made me feel suffocated. The crackle sounded again.

“What was that?” I whispered, too scared to say anything out loud. The darkness transformed back into a black claw that threatened to catch and choke me to death.

“What?” Janice noticed my change in demeanour.

Again, the crackle.  Hair stood on its ends like pins on my skin, making a prickling sensation. I turned around very slowly.