Chapter 28 - A reunion

We finally reached the village at late afternoon and my legs were already turning into jelly. I could feel blisters growing at my feet, the growing pain gnawing mercilessly. I needed new boots. My current boots were worn out and torn after all that fighting with Raphael. We paused in front of an inn, the Winterwell. Bain and Drey were discussing something together.

“I need to get some new boots.” I told Janice, wincing as I pointed to my feet. Janice nodded.

“We’ll meet you guys later at the inn. We need to get something.” Janice waved, smiling radiantly at Bain. Bain’s eyes widened. My lips quirked up slightly when I noticed a pink shade creeping up his cheeks.

I pulled open my pouch, counting the coins inside. I probably did have enough for my boots, but perhaps not quite enough for some strawberries. Hope would have to be disappointed then.

Janice and I continued walking down the stone pavement. The town was a small one. The houses were constructed out of rough brick, all unevenly cut. They still looked sturdier than anything I had back in the village. The houses’ roofs were made of some red tiles, contrasting against the bricks nicely. The shops were relatively newer, with wooden doors and glass windows.

“Do you think Caden Diablo will come back?” Janice questioned.

“Caden? I hope not. He sounds awful.” I answered, unable to stop a chill running down my spine.

“He’s the reason why my village was destroyed.” Janice admitted. “His supporters were looking for clues to his resurrection, and my village was in the way.”

I kept quiet, not sure how to respond.

“I guess it’s really bad that I want him to come back, because I want to destroy him all over again myself. I can’t forgive him.” Janice’s edgy tone scared me. She was serious about this.

“I…can’t agree with you.”

“I know you won’t. I wasn’t expecting you to.” Janice smiled.

Janice pointed me towards the nearest shoe shop. I walked there hastily, eager to change my boots. I chose a new pair of brown leather boots. It had fur lining at the rim, so it would keep me warmer during the winter. The boots weren’t cheap, and my wallet suffered.

I tested the boots. There were of a soft material, moulding to my feet shape easily. I sighed in relief. No more blisters. This was perfect.

As we were walking back, I spotted a botanist displaying an array of beautiful green plants. I looked away reflexively, expecting them to turn into giant plant monsters. Of course they didn’t, but my heart was beating nonetheless.

“Do you think Raphael meant to betray us the whole time?” I asked Janice.

“I…don’t know. I hardly knew him. But he didn’t seem to be the kind of person to do such a thing. I always thought he was kind and friendly, although childish at times. But it doesn’t matter right?”

“I want to know. I don’t like the feeling of being hurt for the betrayal. I want him to have been manipulated, so I could feel at ease. So I would know he wasn’t a bad person…”

“Trust is for fools.” Hope suddenly interjected.

“Why would you say that?” Janice looked surprised.

“Do you know how Caden Diablo managed to desecrate almost half of the world? He murdered his father and took control of the Devil dragon. He then betrayed the trust of the king, burning the land to the ground. His father taught him all he knew about the kingdom, and he used that knowledge to destroy the place.”