Chapter 26 - Being Strong

“Are you alright?” I felt a warm, soothing pressure on my shoulder. Drey. I wiped away the tears in my eyes, blinking hard before facing him.

“I thought I said I’ll be back soon.” I mumbled, forcing a smile.

“You did. It’s been a while…Everyone’s already up and wondering where you are.” Drey studied my face, his gaze piercing through me just like Bain’s. I never noticed Drey like this.

“Yeah…we should go.” Uncomfortable under his stare, I turned away to hide myself.

“Is something the matter?”

There it is again. That quiet, trembling voice. The deep gentle tone that cut me to the bone. The sensitive side that I had adored in…Olyrir. I look at him again, taking in all of his facial features. That small scar. His black eyes, liquid and focused solely on me.

I pulled Drey close to me, feeling his shoulder blades, protruding sharply out from his thin body.

“What…are you doing?” Drey was frozen, stunned at my actions.

“You remind me so much of…Olyrir.” I let my fingers wander through his hair. The strands parted smoothly, feeling silky and soft. Why couldn’t Olyrir be here now? Why did he have to go? My whole life, he had always been beside me. He’s gone and I don’t know what to do.

I closed my eyes, pushing myself closer to him. His warmth was calming, just like Olyrir’s. I could feel his strong heart beating against his ribcage, resounding with life. My lips touched Drey’s for a second before he pulled back abruptly. Surprised at this, I opened my eyes.

“You…Don’t do something you regret.” Drey stepped away from me.

“I thought you liked me.” My voice cracked.

“Yes, but you want somebody else, and I can’t be that person for you.” Drey said firmly. “Let’s just get back.” He turned so his back was facing me, his tense shoulders signalling just how he felt about the situation.

What am I doing?

I didn’t say anything else, trudging back with him silently.

“Oh hey look. Crybaby queen is back.” Bain said snidely, noticing my slightly swollen eyes when I entered the cave. I ignored him, finding a place to sit down.

“That’s just putting it mildly.” Hope added. I could feel all my emotions coming up. Janice was quiet, watching me. It just angered me even more.

“Will you just shut up with all those snarky comments for once?” I yelled.

Drey, taken aback by my outburst, took a step back away from me. Bain looked unfazed, staring back at me daringly. Something in me snapped and I let out every thought I had buried ever since I left my village.

“I’ve got so much on my mind right now!! My life’s in danger! Some crazy insane person can’t stop following me! My boyfriend, my childhood friend, is gone! I have some stupid job of finding a dragon just because I’m pathetic and born with no familiar!! I’ve lost everything in my life that mattered and now I’m stuck with a bunch of worthless idiots who can’t stop insulting me!” Tears are coming out and I don’t even try to hide it. My body is shaking from the intensity of my emotions and my palms hurt because my nails have dug into my flesh.

Silence.

Bain got up. I couldn’t read his emotions. His face was completely blank. He raised a fist. It’s the same fist I saw so many times before. It was firm, curled in a perfect form. The tremble it held, however, betrayed his current state. It connected with my face, resonating with a loud crack.