Chapter 18 - This or that

I could only stare at the glass piece, speechless. This was for Janice. Janice and Bain. Bain liked Janice. The most obvious conclusion nagged at the back of my head but I refused to believe it. It was simply impossible. How could someone as manipulative and ruthless as Bain fall for somebody, not to mention the sweetest angel, Janice?

“Oh my gosh.” I finally spluttered out, blinking rapidly in disbelief. How was it even possible? I stroked the art piece gently with one finger, incapable of believing it.

As much as I hated Bain’s guts, it was really mean not to give back his precious piece of glass. One glass sculpture like this would have taken days, if not weeks to create. This was not including the skill needed to do this. The glass had to be crafted at the right temperature and with precision. If cooled too rapidly, the glass cracked. Too hot, and it would be too difficult to work with. Still, I remembered the pain he had put me through on a daily basis and my heart hardened.

I thought about my encounter with Bain and this new revelation. All Bain had wanted from me was to know how I got away from Faris. He succeeded. That’s why he left. I figured out. Surprisingly, the heaviness in my heart was lifted as well and I no longer felt any feeling against Raphael. The back of my mind whispered that Bain made me feel better but I dismissed that thought, locking it away and throwing it out instantly.

Why should I give this back? He was the one that caused me so much pain anyway. He was the one that made my life like hell! Anger bubbled deep in my heart as I recalled the past times I had spent in a room cursing and swearing while Janice patched me up. My facial muscles tightened to form a scowl. My hate for him was so deeply rooted within me and the thought only made my frown deepen. Suddenly, a wicked thought arose from the depths of my mind.

Don’t give it back to him.

A wicked smile formed on my lips. Of course. How did I not think of that? The easiest way to get revenge. It would no doubt cause him some grief and sorrow, but did I care?

No. If anything, he should feel the same way I did.

He should suffer like me. It was after all, getting a taste of your own medicine.

Rubbing the back of my ankle that was still sore from Bain’s hardy leg, I winced and made my way back to my room. I wanted to change my bandage, which was caked with dried blood. Ren followed behind dutifully, entertaining me with his dull jokes and sarcasm.

I was holding the apple Bain gave me and the glass in the other arm. With Ren’s help, I changed my bandage and rested on my bed. My stomach growled in protest. I had not been able to eat enough cake previously. I did not want to face anyone right now and refused to go down. Rummaging around for something to eat, my eyes fell on the ruby red apple that lay innocently on the bench. I remembered how Bain hit me with that thing and my eyelid twitched. I was not going to eat that. No way.

As though responding to me, my stomach grumbled again. I sighed and proceeded to wash the apple, before taking a large bite from it. A satisfying crunch and a piece of apple fell into my mouth. Sweetness permeated through my tongue, treating my taste buds with a delightful mix of sourness and tanginess. Bain had not lied. It was delicious. I peered over at the glass piece that lay on the table.

Instinctively, my facial muscles contracted to make a smile. It was not my usual cheery, happy smile. It was an elusive, sly smile.

I was not going to give it back to him.

I could finally get a chance to hurt him like what he does to me.

Fuelled by my warped determination, I let out a soft chuckle. I was visualising Bain’s horrified expression. His eyes filled with sorrowful tears. For some insane reason, I burst out laughing. I could not imagine him with puffy eyes and cheeks.