Chapter 4 - In one night

stabbed by heart, filling it with coldness.

Letting my clothes whip against my legs, I ran forth blindly.

-          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Unknown POV*

I sniffed the air, lifting my tiny paws into the air. My snow white fur brushed against the surface of the leaves of a bush. My fur was tipped with light blue. It was the only thing that gave me away. Other than that, I looked normal, just like a typical chinchilla.

My watery eyes were trained on only one thing. Only one being. Aria Lyore.

She was heading somewhere. Flicking my tail, I took a quick peek behind to see if there was anyone. Seeing nobody, I bounded off as fast as my tiny four paws could carry me, after that one being.

Aria Lyore.

-          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting down on the same sandy ground that Olyrir and I had been sitting on for our childhood, I felt pained to know that this could be the last time I would ever see him.

Oh how I longed to reach for his fluffy brown hair and pull the loose strands away from his perfect face.

We silently dug in into the food, munching down bread drenched in my store of honey. Nothing was said, only the merry chirping of birds to fill the silence.

After what seemed like forever, when the sun was already setting, he opened his mouth.

Just in perfect timing, a gust of wind blew his hair as he turned to face me.

His green eyes pierced right through my soul like paper. What an alluring shade of emerald.

“Aria, I don’t know what to say. It’s the last time I’m ever going to see you…”

“Yeah…” My voice turned low.

“It’s so weird. It’s only until that last point when everything will be gone the next moment do we feel sad and regretful.”

I nodded. Suddenly, all the words I wanted to say, the feelings I wanted to pour were buried back deep within my heart.

I gulped and took advantage of a sudden burst of courage.

“Uhm…Olyrir, I want to give this back to you.”

A jolt rushed through my body, dissipating at my fingertips, at where I held that bead. Olyrir’s eyes widened slightly, his mouth opening. He closed back his mouth. My heart was beating so fast, transferring all my attention to Olyrir.

I could already feel my cheeks tingling red.

“Aria…” I swallowed nervously, feeling my cheeks become very hot.

I gulped, hoping he would actually say it.

I took in a deep breath, as though the sound of my breathing would block the words flowing out from his mouth.

The birds seemed to stop chirping, their beady eyes trained on me. A stray gust of wind blew across, whipping my hair across my face.

“I…uh…” I saw him swallow once and take a forceful breath.

“You know, ever since childhood, I had always…”

I leaned in slightly, waiting desperately for him to complete his sentence.

I saw a tiny bead of sweat roll down his cheeks. He bit his lip and took another deep breath.

“I really…”

My heart started to pound rapidly. I could feel it, tingling at my ear tips.

“I love you.”

No kind of fantasy, dream would ever prepare me for this real moment. It was exactly how it was in all my fantasies of my dream world. My childhood dream. It was exactly the same. The beautiful scenery. The birds. The lake. Everything was perfect. Everything was in place.

Only one thing was not the same.

This was real.

Real.

Automatically, my face glowed extremely red and I looked down nervously. In all my dreams, I knew exactly what to say, how to react. How was it possible I was tongue-tied at this crucial moment?

“I…”

My voice came out as a whisper.

“I love you too.” Just those three words ‘I love you’ and my childhood dream came true.

“I’ll miss you.” Olyrir blurted out suddenly, staring straight into my eyes. His green eyes filled my heart with kindness and sadness. It was, after all, the last time I would see him, in a long, long time…

Perhaps he would find a new girl to be with…

I mentally slapped myself at that thought. Still, the thought of that pained me so.

“Me too.”

With that, we spent the next few hours gazing into each other’s eyes. I stared deep into his green eyes, while lying on the ground, absorbing every detail of his face. I never wanted to let him go like that. He was going to leave me here, for a long, very long time, perhaps forever. If so, at the very least, I wanted to sculpt his every detail into my mind. His green eyes. His raven black hair that fell perfectly in chunks over his eyes.

I love you, Olyrir. I don’t want you to leave.

But the sad truth hit me like a drum.

It wasn’t for me to choose.

With that, my heart broke, flooding me with a full blast of emotions I had suppressed long ago. We both sat there, hand in hand, staring at each other. He brought me closer, till our faces almost touched. I could feel his warm breath against my face. I could see his peaceful green eyes blink and stare into my soul.

I would never forget how I gave away that first kiss.

-          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a magical night. All in one night, I gave away my first kiss but yet, lost my best friend, my first love. I woke up on my bed the next morning, staring into the ceiling.

I shut my eyes, remembering the night. Every gust of wind, every chirp of a bird, every wave, I could remember it all.

I smiled at that, but the sad truth struck me again. He wasn’t here. He wasn’t here, with me.

He’s out there in the real world, with Sol.

He’s out there, perhaps with his new love.

There was no way I could prevent him from doing so. It would be like denying a baby’s right to cry. I tried to comfort myself, knowing it was the plain truth.

It was not possible for me to be with him. It was not fated. It was not, and will never be real. There was no way I could be his fated one, his true love, the one and only. It was very true to say I would never see him again.

He would go for the training, and probably be posted to a job, earning big bucks. He would marry his true love and have a family, and live happily…

But all without me.

A tear managed to squeeze out, as another flood of emotions washed through me.  

I miss you, Olyrir. I wish you all the best, in finding happiness and eventually true love.