Chapter 5 - Sapphire Eyes

The next day came, although I dreaded it. The truth hurt. He was not here. He was not here, with me. I never even thought about treasuring him a bit more. I took him for granted. I assumed that he would be there, and stay there. I thought he was permanent. I never even paused for one second, that one moment to think that he would disappear from my life altogether.

Who knew in one day, everything can just change. Who knew in one day, many buried emotions and feelings were discovered, before being buried back into the hard compact soil of my distorted mind.

I lay on my bed, rubbing the sheets absentmindedly. I wish he was here…

Knowing I shouldn’t stay in bed the whole day, I reluctantly got up. They always said, five-minute walks make you feel better. Sighing, I stood up and stretched. I stared at my empty hand. Just hours ago, his lovely hand-made bead lay on my palm… I shook my head, trying to shake away these dark, dull emotions.

Just how could one day go so wrong?

What should I do today…?

Suddenly realizing how hungry I was, I opened my cupboard. Hoping to find something more appetizing, my heart plunged when I only saw a wheel of cheese. I had some leftover bread as well. Well, I just had to make do I guess. I shrugged my shoulders and proceeded to cut a slice of cheese to eat with the bread.

Opening my coin purse, I frowned when I realized I was running out of money. No money, no food.

I pulled on my leather boots and pushed open the door.

The day was perfect. The bright sun rays shone down on me, illuminating my dull face. Time for some work!

The village looked so empty. Most of the villagers had gone off to celebrate for the people with familiars.

I headed over to Shopkeeper Yula’s shop.

Her bright bubbly face immediately warmed my heart.

“Hey there Aria. Looking for work? I need plenty of hands today.”

“Sure thing.” I smiled.

“Well I need somebody to deliver this to Old Fisherman Tyler.” She pulled up a sack of salt and placed them in a bagpack.

I nodded and swung the bag over my shoulders.

“Got a gold coin when you come back.”

I pulled back my shoulders, struggling slightly with the heavy load. Nevertheless, I pushed on.

Walking through the main path of the village, I felt out of place. I no longer saw the familiar faces. Fisherman Tyler lived quite far out from the main path of the village. He lived near the river, where he could catch more fish.

His son, Hunter Andre was a muscular man. He was much larger than me. He always had this serious face on, but he was actually kind-hearted and a softie. He hunted deer and other wild game. His familiar was an Illusion Cloud Leopard. It could camouflage with its surroundings and was a master at sneaking.

Taking in the scenery, I walked through the usual forested path. I often went to his home to trade some of my homegrown herbs, vegetables and wild mushrooms for fresh meat. Hunter Andre was usually very generous.

After a short ten minute walk, I found myself staring at same old quaint hut that I had always seen for years.

I spotted Old Fisherman Tyler sitting on a rocking chair, humming a tune.

“Fisherman Tyler!” I called and waved.

“Aria! Is that you?”

“Yes. I’m bringing the salt you need from Shopkeeper Yula.” I ran over, dropping the huge load.

“Thanks a lot, dear. You know I appreciate it. My old frail body can’t carry much anymore.” His face was wrinkled with age, but still had a healthy glow. His familiar, a hummingbird, fluttered to my shoulder, buzzing its wings rapidly. It flew a circle around me, as though it was thanking me.

“Where’s Andre?”

“Out hunting. Andre says that the forest has a chinchilla. Well, of course I don’t believe him. Chinchillas live in the colder regions. What is my son thinking? He wants to catch it and sell it as an exotic pet, apparently.”

“Okayyyyyyyyy.” Andre was always weird in his ways, but…a chinchilla? Really?

I quickly hopped back to the shop, eager to get my pay.

A while later, I had a gleaming gold coin on my palm. I helped Shopkeeper Yula organize her store room. It was a horror. There were so many spiders and cockroaches. Then I helped her ferment some milk. I helped her to clean up the tables.  After all that, I had a total of seven gold coins. This should last me at least for a few days.

I spent two coins exchanging for food and necessities, dragging them home in a bag. It was in the evening already. The whole day of honest hard work, earning a total of seven gold coins. It wasn’t that bad. Exhausted, I fell on the bed and slept.

The next few days were the same. Different errands. Eventually, I earned enough to keep me going for at least a few weeks.

The night came again. I was out for a late night job. After finally completing it, I returned back to my hut to sleep. I had earned ten gold coins. I bought a leather bag that I managed to bargain for a mere five gold coins. I had to trade in some extra mushrooms and herbs though. After unpacking everything from the bag, I threw off my leather boots. I threw myself on the soft bed, feeling my sore muscles ease slightly. Ow. I got up slightly and massaged my calf muscles. I let out a breath as I felt the strain relax slightly.

My ears shot up slightly at the sound of rustling. Instinctively, I turned to the window. A chill ran down my spine when I saw a pair of bright blue eyes staring back at me. There were reptile eyes. They were predator eyes. Predator. That screamed prey. A strangled cry escaped my mouth and I froze, not daring to move. The eyes disappeared and I heard the sound of a creature running away.

I continued staring out of the window. My breath was caught in my throat. My heart thumped, pumping blood to my head. My head was pounding. Sweat invaded my senses and I slowly took in fresh air. It felt as though the air turned poisonous.

There was nothing out there. Just the sheer blackness like it always was. No more eyes. The sheer thought of the piercing sapphire eyes sent an electrifying shock down my body. Terror gripped me and I didn’t dare move a single inch of my body. I let out the breath and started to breathe normally. I blinked, hard.

Just darkness, looming over me like a predator. Predator. It made me feel vulnerable. The moonlight was my only source of light. Anything could come out, whatever it was.

I gasped and took in more air. My heart continued thumping heavily with force against my chest.

Piercing sapphire eyes. Reptile eyes, with the constricted obsidian pupils. The very same shade of the sky turned deadly and venomous. The pupils, complete black and constricted. The stare were just like daggers that pierced my head. Chills ran down, over and over, making all my senses tingle. The memory of the eyes, glowing in the dark background flickered in my mind again.

Those eyes.

I didn’t sleep a wink that night.