Chapter 21 - Who are you?

My thoughts were erratic and unpredictable, shifting from one problem to another so quickly. Should I run away? I hugged Ren closer to me, feeling his soft, silky fur. I felt a prickling sensation as cloth brushed across my forearm. I looked to the side, finding Drey’s dark eyes trained on me. He looked a lot better than before. His cheeks were of a healthier glow and his eyes were lively. He smiled when I glanced at him, making my heart skip a beat.

“How are you?”

“I’m feeling better, thanks.”

“Glad to hear that. Where did you come from?”

“The North. I came from one of the last remaining cities.”

“Cool. Can you tell me more about the magic weapons? It’s very different from familiars here in the East.”

I stole a quick peek at Bain and noticed that he was leaning in, trying to hear our conversation.

“Well…we have a weapon initiation ceremony when we turn twelve. During that day, we choose our weapon as a partner. It used to require a lot of ceremonial traditions and practices, but they were lost throughout the years.”

“Do you get to use magic or something similar?”

“I guess, somewhat. I chose the scythe. Rather, the scythe chose me. Scythes are symbolic of grim reapers. I used to be able to use magic, but if I try it now, I’ll just harm my body.” His voice shook at the last bit.

“It’s like us, but I can’t use magic. I just don’t have that link with Ren yet. Bain can.”

“You can? Can I see?” Drey turned to Bain.

“Uh…” Bain was speechless for a moment. Strange. His familiar wasn’t with him.

“His familiar is always not around, don’t you think?” Ren whispered to me.

“I’m so used to it not being there that I didn’t find it peculiar anymore.” I told him.

“Speaking of familiars, where is yours? I don’t think I have ever seen her during lessons.” Janice commented. At least I wasn’t the only one that noticed that Bain’s familiar was gone. Oh right, Bain did mention his familiar was a ‘she’.

“She’s not feeling well.” I raised an eyebrow. For Bain, that was a poorly crafted lie. He normally lied fluidly without even batting an eye.

“Not feeling well all the time?” Janice questioned.

“She’s…shy. She doesn’t like to interact with people.” Bain fidgeted uncomfortably. Funny how that trait matches him as well.

“Oh. What kind of magic do you get to use?”

Bain paused, pondering over the question. Was he wondering if he should reveal his secret? Or was he going to lie again?

“Flashes, sparks, a bit here and there. It’s not easy.” He vaguely countered the question.

“I guess it’s harder when it’s a familiar rather than a weapon. At least I don’t need to build a strong bond with a familiar. I just need to use my scythe well and that’s mostly it. I don’t even need to coordinate or do anything with my scythe.” Drey spun his scythe expertly with his slender hands.

I watched in wonderment as the scythe performed a complicated dance in his controlled fingers. He was certainly very good in using it. A small smile flashed on his face as he did so. His smile dropped and he stopped spinning the scythe. It lay by his side idly and he let out a sigh.

“What’s wrong?” Ren asked.

“I…can’t use my scythe as much as I want. I’m sick.” Drey explained.