Chapter 6 - Ren

It felt like ages before the sun decided to come above the horizon. The light brought comfort to me. It was like piercing my dark world, filled with fear and terror.

I had been sweating throughout the night. My whole shirt was soaked and it was plastered to my back, uncomfortably. I had been paralysed to the same spot on the bed for hours. The creases on the bed were how they were hours ago.

Blue eyes.

The frightening vision of that was enough to stop my heart for a moment. Another roll of sweat dripped down. I had not been dreaming. The reality of that struck me. It was REAL. Those eyes. I could even imagine every detail of those eyes.

The reptile, sharp eyes. There were like those of a hawk’s, literally. Have you ever had a hawk stare at you before, like you were meat? The azure, neon blue, with the tiniest flecks of gold. The more I thought about it, the more my heart continued to thump against my chest. My whole head was ringing, I could literally feel the heartbeats against my head. Furious, I tried to banish the thought from my mind.

The more you tried not to think of something, the more you think of it.

Still, I forced myself out from my sweaty bed. I headed to the washroom to wash my face. Dark eye rings stood out and exhaustion creeped back to me. I sighed. My blue eyes glowed in the mirror. My dark hair was combed back with water and full of knots. I merely smoothed it and took a quick shower. I pulled on simple shorts and shirt and headed out.

The simplest noise now startled me and made my hair rise to its very tips. I was on the edge all the time, just waiting for something, anything to suddenly pounce out from the bushes and attack me. My imagination was seriously too good to be helpful. Now, I was imagining the most ferocious demonic creature with huge fangs biting me into bits and pieces.

Its obsidian eyes are now glowing red, the colour of death and suffering. It looked at me with glowing eyes, threatening me with a dangerous aura. Its eyes narrowed and it growled. The sheer thought of the deep growl radiating from the bottom of its stomach sent chills down my whole body. Its scales were pure black, glistening under the bright moonlight. It took a step forth and its huge muscles rippled. Its tail whipped to the side impatiently. It lifted its powerful head and hissed warningly. Its claws dug into the ground, flinging pieces of soil off the ground. My breathing stopped.

It hissed again and pounced on me. I opened my eyes and panted heavily from my own vivid imagination. I gasped and stretched my tensed up muscles. I let out a pained breath and calmed myself down. I really had to stop this.

I headed down back to Fisherman Tyler’s hut to look for Andre. Best solution to fear is company.

Andre was sitting down on a rock, tracking a deer. Not wanting to scare the deer away, I snuck forth, crouching down.

“You know you’ll never sneak up to me right?” Andre laughed, but didn’t turn around.

“What gave it away?”

“The smell of your soap?” He sniggered and turned around.

“Whatever.” I rolled my eyes, hating to admit I was wrong.

I crouched down beside him and looked across the thick foliage. Just between the two trees lay the magnificent creature. It stood proud, tall, with the most beautiful coat of brown with white speckles. Its hooves pounded the ground nervously. Its large antlers swung about as it watched its surroundings. Andre slowly raised his bow. He took out an arrow out from the sheath expertly and loaded it on the bow. Squinting his eyes, he concentrated deeply as he drew the string back. The bow creaked and the deer’s ears pricked up. It bolted within a blink of an eye. Andre cursed and let the string relax, placing the arrow back into the sheath at the back of his body. His body brushed against mine as he stood up.