Chapter 11 - An eventful morning

“Evening lessons don’t end until about 8…” Ren noticed.

“2 hours without Crow Face.”

“Crow Face, how original! Too bad Bain didn’t caw like one.”

I chuckled at the thought of Bain cawing and flapping his imaginary wings.

I was massaging my arms gently to ease the pain. My stomach still felt like a ton of bricks had been dropped on, but the pain was slowly fading away.

“That crow’s feathers are steel I swear. His punches are like steel blocks flying at 100miles an hour.”

“You should have let me fight me. That nasty, wicked crow would start squealing when I bite his fat pudgy finger.”

I laughed so hard at that boast it made my stomach hurt even more.

“You’re ridiculous!” I burst out laughing again.

Ren shook his tail, angered.

We got into yet another useless fight about who would do better against Crow Face. After a while, we finally stopped.

“Have you ever been on an adventure, Aria?”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“Never had a reason to…”

“So you don’t know much about the world, right?”

“Well yeah…we had no reason to know about the world. I come from a village, remember? I only know I’m in the East.”

“That’s a start.”

“I came from the North, full of snow and hail.”

“I have never seen snow.”

“I had never seen a real green field of grass until I came to find you.” Ren twitched his fluffy ear. I stroked his smooth fur.

“The North is guarded by a Snow Unicorn. One of the guardian spirits in the world. I have never seen him before but my parents said he looked majestic. They said he was as white as snow, with hooves a shining silver. His tail was long and each strand looked like an angel’s hair. His horn was gold and had swirls of rainbow when light shone on him.”

Ren’s description was so vivid I could picture the elegant creature, trotting through the thick snow.

“When there is a full moon, they say that his magic would make snow glitter in a myriad of colours.”

I sighed. So much of the world I didn’t know yet.

I would have loved to go on an adventure, if not for the fact that I had almost lost my precious life-extending soul to a psychotic maniac named Faris and got bitten by a venomous snake. I should probably add that I got strangled by the same snake.

Oh, did I mention? I almost lost my life. Such a splendid life that a fourteen year old girl leads.  

My sarcastic voice hadn’t left my dull brain, it appeared.

“There…is nothing much in the East. Well, not that it matters.” My brain drew a blank when I struggled to find something to say about my world.

“You just don’t appreciate the beauty of your own world. When you get forced to leave it, then maybe your straw-filled brain can start feeling something to the grassy la-la land you lived in.”

Ren’s hard voice shocked me slightly. I kept silent, wondering why he was upset.

“Uh…Okay?”