Chapter 27 - Many Developments

I told them everything, about Renevyere, about Faris, about Hope and the relation to Caden Diablo. When I said that name, everyone tensed up. Bain’s steely eyes narrowed slightly and his jaw hardened. Drey’s usual face, gentleness infused into his calm expression, was replaced by one I didn’t know at all, pensive and melancholic..? He looked down, pondering over something.

“…I have to find Renevyere.” I finished, fidgeting. Hope was resting on my lap, as my fingers ran idly through his fur. Had his fur always been this soft?

I could see the gears in Bain’s brains working. After a while, he finally spoke.

“We will head towards the nearest village, gather resources before we set off.”

“Are there any clues as to where Renevyere is? I mean the real Ren.” Janice quipped in.

“Even I can’t pinpoint exactly where while he’s trapped inside an egg. I do, for one, know that he is in somewhere cold…somewhere that snows. Most possibly up North.”

“North..? We’ll need thicker clothes.” I commented.

“I think we need to plan out a route first.” It was a while since Drey talked. His voice was slightly shaky, coming across as a lack of confidence.

Bain asked for a map, which Daik gracefully spread out in the middle of the house. Bain looked at it for a moment, flipping it around, and back. It was now upside down…He didn’t know how to read a map, did he? I couldn’t help but feel laughter bubble in my stomach and I tried unsuccessfully to smother a laugh. He merely narrowed his eyes at me, opening his mouth to retort something. Just then, Janice caught on and started giggling. Bain’s glare morphed into a shocked look. I swore I saw his cheeks redden slightly. Drey wasn’t laughing. His eyes were glazed over and he had a serious and gloomy look. He wasn’t paying attention. What was up? Was it what happened previously?

“Here, I’ll do it.” Janice took the map from Bain, brushing her hand against his hand. His face was now red as a tomato. For a muscular strong man, he sure blushed easily. I still couldn’t believe Janice hadn’t realised Bain liked her. Wasn’t it too obvious considering Bain blushed every time he looked at her? I made a mental note to ask her about it later.

Janice, scanning the map, quickly flipped it upright in the correct direction. She pointed at a forested area, near East.

“We’re here now…around here…somewhere.” She looked at me for confirmation and I nodded.

“Since we’re heading North, the best town to head to is here.”

“We’ll travel by day and rest in populated areas to minimise any attacks by Faris.” Bain knelt beside Janice and scrutinised the map. He didn’t blush.

“Isn’t Drey from the North?” Hope suddenly added.

“Aren’t you from the North? Oh…wait.” I countered, folding my arms in mock anger, hoping this would catch Drey’s attention.

Drey’s eyes flickered up at the sound of his name. He was really acting weird. Was he okay..? I frowned. He met my concerned gaze, and smiled to show that he was alright. It was a faint smile, a ghostly smile that had a tragic feel to it.

“That’s true…You are from the North. You can guide us there.” Janice thoughtfully suggested. Bain agreed. Drey’s eyes were glazed over again.

I couldn’t take it anymore. I stood up, sauntering to Drey. Pulling him up, I dragged him out of the tent.

“Drey…are you alright? This…this is about just now, isn’t it?” I blurted out the moment we were outside.