Chapter 1 - The Fair

Today was finally the day! The day where the Mythics Fair comes to visit our town, our village.

What is the Mythics Fair, you ask?

Well, it’s a special event. Many magical creatures lie inside of this event. All sorts.

Not only that. The kick to the event: All fourteen year olds could get a creature, as their familiar. People above fourteen could go as well, but you could only have one familiar.    

But you didn’t choose the familiar. It chose you.

I was so freaking excited. I was already jumping around happily despite it being sunrise.

Our village was a quaint, peaceful one. Huts and decent technology. Our village survives on mining and farming, mostly. It was a pure grassland with wild animals.

The bell of the village rung. It meant that work was starting. Normal work. Immediately, I pushed open the door of the hut.

Farmer Molan was on his usual journey to feed his farm animals. Cows, chickens, goats. Beside him strutted Shopkeeper Yula. Shopkeeper Yula was the wife of Farmer Molan. She sold the farm produce. Cheese, milk, meat, vegetables, fruits.  

Shopkeeper Yula wore a plain blue dress, her hair tied into a tight bun.

“Shopkeeper Yula!!!” I called. People in our land were addressed by their profession, before their name.

She turned. Her face broke into a warm smile.

“Oh. Aria!” I didn’t have a profession, so I was called by my name.

 “I have some leftover milk for you, and some leftover fruit. You can pick it up after the fair.” She smiled, her rosy cheeks become popped out.

“Thanks! Shopkeeper Yula.” I bowed slightly, to show my respect. I was smiling. One less meal to worry about!

Excitement bubbled within me at the mention of the Fair. I wanted my own familiar as well!! What would it be? A powerful, majestic dragon? Dream on. I smirked at my own wild imagination.

A unicorn? No. Griffin? No. Usually, villagers and peasants like us would get the less powerful creatures, mostly to help us in our profession. Like dogs, who were intelligent, helpful for farmwork.

Or even beautiful birds, which could spot prey from miles away, good for our hunters.

What would I get? I didn’t even have a profession. I was a child. A mere 14 year old girl. A girl with hazel brown hair and blue eyes. I liked my blue eyes. They were a beautiful shade of midnight blue.

Skipping across, I greeted Bookshop keeper Rughua.

He was a wise old man, with round spectacles, hiding a face of wisdom and stories. He was a great storyteller.

I loved to listen to his tales of Dragonkeepers. Or Unicorn bearers, sometimes Griffin riders. The stories of Dragonkeepers were always the most majestic and great. I smiled as I remembered one particular story. It was about a young Dragonkeeper, Dragonkeeper Aaron.

A man so handsome all the girls of the land would swoon over.

A man muscular and tall, with blond hair and blue eyes. It was a dream come true for any girl.

And his dragon. A majestic dragon.

Imagine the biggest dragon you have ever seen. One, whose body rippled with muscles, covered in scales.