Chapter 19 - Daik

Ren was behind me, following.

“Are you sure you want to do this?” Ren’s voice was edgy.

“Yes.” I huffed and walked down the corridor. The dog was clutched tightly in my hands. I tightened my grip and marched down the stairs. I was going to be victorious, a winner. Bain would be the one feeling the pain and hurt. He would be the one hurt this time.

The memory of Bain’s soft expression flickered to life. His liquid eyes were looking at the floor, downcast. His hair covered part of his eyes, casting a shadow over his eyes. It masked his face, making his expression unfathomable. My lips tightened to a straight line. No, I would not change my mind. I wanted to see him suffer.

I chuckled, which sounded almost like a witch cackle.

Ren was fidgety. He darted in front of me and stopped me in my tracks.

“What now?”

“Why do you want to do this?!”

“Because Bain had been tormenting me for so long?! It’s only fair I got back my revenge!” I tried to rationalize with Ren, who seemed very determined to stop me.

“You’ll just become as bad as Bain himself. Sure, he gives you hell, but if you do this, you’re just being cruel like him.”

“Don’t patronize me, Ren. He had it coming.”

“I’m not trying to! Please Aria, don’t do this. You will regret this!”

“Look, stop trying. I can fight through an army of a thousand clones of Faris-es and I would still want to do this.”

Ren stared at me with his beady eyes. He wanted to say something, but let it go.

“Do what you wish. I can’t stop you anyway.” He looked downcast and flicked his tail. I huffed and continued walking. Ren, with no choice, tailed behind like a meek kitten. 

My heart was thumping loudly by the time I was a few doors away from him. A thin layer of sweat formed around my palm, coating the glass sculpture. I felt the rapid beat of my heart in my sensitive ears.  Should I even do it?

“Aria? What are you doing here?” Raphael’s blond hair came into view.

“Oh, I was uh…” I was lost for words. What could I honestly tell him? Hey Raphael, I’m shattering this cute dog sculpture made by a crow that was for your little romantic interest. Nothing big.

“What’s that?” He pointed curiously at the glass sculpture I was holding.

“Bain made that.” Ren popped in immediately. I turned back to him, shocked at what he said. How could he…!

“Really? That’s a fantastic piece of art there. Can I see it?” Raphael reached out to grab it. I recoiled and hid it behind me.

“Nope.” I answered lamely without any explanation whatsoever.

“She’s about to destroy it.” Ren quickly added. What was he doing?! He was going to ruin my plans!

“Oh. What a pity.” Raphael’s voice faded away as his eyes trailed down to the dog.

“If you want to dissuade me, it’s not going to work. I’ll be going, if you don’t mind.” I curtly announced. Whatever Ren was planning, he was going to fail.

“No, actually, that’s a great plan!” He broke into a grin. Before I could say anything, he snatched the glass sculpture from me. Sudden doubt washed over me and I bit my lip. I wanted to stop him from doing so.