Chapter 4

The light pouring through my window makes me squeeze my eyes closed again. I'm tired, and my eyes hurt from all the crying I'm sure they're bloodshot and puffy. I stare up at the ceiling, thinking about how much my life sucks. I can't believe I have to marry a cocky, arrogant, disrespectful, mean, but sexy boxer.

I get out of bed, throw on my matching pink silk robe, and make my way downstairs. Entering the kitchen, I see my mother and older sister arguing, but they stop once they see me standing there. Monique, my sister, shoots my mother a glare, before walking over to me, and hugging me.

"How are you, Scarlet?" She asks.

Taking a deep breath, I answer, "I don't know."

"I can't believe you're doing this to her. What kind of mother marries her daughter for money!?"

"Many families did that back in the day."

"We are not in the 1800s, mother. This is the 21st century. Mum, you can't do this to her. You can't decide who she marries. Besides, you don't even know the guy! What if he's a serial killer?"

"Oh, you are being dramatic, Monique! He is not a serial killer," mother says.

"No, he's a boxer," I say, making a face.

"See? If by the time the two of you are married, he happens to die in one of his boxing matches, all of his fortune will be yours!" She says, cheerily.

"What!?" Monique and I exclaim.

"Mother, I can't believe you said that. I don't want his money!"

"Oh, please! What else could you ask for? Of course you want his money. You're just a little bit angry and don't want to accept it."

"A little bit angry? No, mother. I am very angry!" I yell.

"Do not raise your voice at me," she says, sternly. "Think about it, if he dies, all his money, cars, and properties will be yours."

"I am not a gold digger. As I said, I do not want his money." With that, I storm out of the kitchen and make my way upstairs. I can't believe my mother has gotten this far, and all just to get money. She thinks that money is more important than my own happiness. For how long had she been planning this?

I huff, reaching for my phone to check for any text messages and missed calls. One text from Nathan, and another one from Harry. I decide to read Nathan's text first, just because it's too early to deal with a certain curly-haired boxer.

Nathan:

Hey girl! You still up to go out today?

Crap! I totally forgot that we were going out today. Good thing I don't have anything planned. I text him back, telling him to meet me at the ice cream shop in an hour, and go into my ensuite to take a quick shower.

"Mother, I'm going out," I inform her. She raises a perfectly shaped eyebrow.

"Where are you going?"

"I"m meeting Nathan at the ice cream shop."

"Tell him I say hi!" Monique says.

"How many times do I have to tell you that I don't want you to hang out with him! Scarlet, you cannot be friends with the lower class."

"Mother, stop it. I can be friends with whoever I want. I have to go now," I make my way toward the door, but the voice of my mother stops me.

"I want you here at noon. Henry is picking you up for another date."

"It's Harry, mother. And what do you mean another date? I am not going."

"You don't even know his name?" Monique asked, incredulous.