Chapter 91

I knew being a mother was not going to be easy, but I definitely did not expect it to be this hard.

The first three weeks of having our baby home, Harry and I had lots of help from Anne, my mother, and Maura. We got lots of sleep and we pretty much took care of Victoria throughout the day, while our mothers and Maura took care of her during the night.

However, the help we got couldn't last forever. Our mothers eventually had to go back to their own lives and Maura had to leave for some time since her daughter Alice broke her foot and Claire was out of town, so Maura had to take care and help her. We take turns on who gets up at night, but in the end, we both have to stay awake. Harry goes to get Victoria, brings her into our room and I breastfeed her.

We decided to both stay awake because one of the times I was breastfeeding her at 3 in the morning, I started falling asleep and she was slipping from my arms. Luckily she whimpered, which woke Harry up and he caught her before something horrible happened. Since then, we both stay awake and watch infomercials until she falls asleep again.

Maura comes in a couple of hours every day, to make sure everything is running smoothly in the house and to make sure the chef cooks healthy food instead of the greasy food I suggest to him. Even though she's away, she makes sure we're okay.

"I'm exhausted," Harry whispers as we sit on the sofa watching a movie. Victoria is sleeping in her rocking bassinet in front of us. I love watching her sleep, she looks peaceful and so comfortable. I wish I could sleep like babies do.

"Me too." We usually try to nap whenever she sleeps, but it seems like she can sense whenever we close our eyes because she wakes up crying and won't stop until one of us picks her up.

Harry turns down the volume on the telly and shifts his body to face me. "Sweetheart, I need to talk to you about something." He rubs his eyes and lets out a yawn.

"What is it, Curly?"

He sighs, shaking his head like he feels bad for what he's about to tell me, which makes me worried. "Well... remember that match I told Ray to reschedule?" I nod. "I've asked him to reschedule it about three times and he told me it can't be pushed more."

"When is it?" I ask.

"In two days."

"Well, if it can't be rescheduled anymore, then you must go, babe. I mean, it is your job and a few hours away from home could do you some good. Plus, you've been training here so you'll be good."

"That's the thing, it won't be a few hours," he hesitates. "The fight is in Vegas."

I feel the air leave my lungs. I was so not expecting that. "Vegas? As in Vegas in the States? In a completely different continent?" my voice comes out in a whisper and he nods. "Oh."

"I could ask Ray to cancel it," he says in deep thought.

"No, you can't do that, love. As I said, it's your job and you've got to do it." I say.

"I don't want to leave you alone with the baby, love. I feel horrible about it. It will be about a full week of me not being here." His guilty eyes lock with mine.

"We'll be okay, Curly," I say as calmly as I can, but on the inside, I am freaking out. Harry and I are barely managing being parents and I don't think I can do it alone at all. "Maura can help me the few hours she comes and I can call my mum or Moni. We're going to be great."

"Are you sure?" he asks, taking my hands in his.

"I'm positive," I reassure him.

***