Chapter 7

The rest of the week went by faster than I thought, and before I knew it, it was graduation day. I've been preparing myself for this moment my whole life, and it's finally here. My stomach tingles with nerves and anticipation.

There's a soft knock on my door. "Come in." My mother walks in, and smiles when she sees me standing in front of my full length mirror.

"Oh, Scarlet," she says softly. "You look beautiful." I look down at my purple gown, and black high heels.

"Thank you, mother." She walks toward me, taking the matching purple cap from my hands.

"Do you need help putting this on?" I nod. She carefully places it on my head, then fixes my curls, arranging them so they fall delicately over my shoulders framing my face. "Your dad would be so proud of you," she hugs me tightly. "I am very proud of you, Scarlet."

"Thank you, mother." A few tears roll down my cheeks, and I tighten my arms around my mother, cherishing this moment. It has been a long time since she has hugged me like this, and it's a moment that I will treasure forever.

"Are you ready, dear?" She pulls away, but keeps her hands in my shoulders.

I take a deep breath, and nod. "I think I am."

"Let's go, then." We walk out of my bedroom, and make our way to the car, where Monique is waiting for us.

"Scarlet, you look gorgeous!" Monique exclaims, once my mum and I get in the car.

"Thank you, sister." she starts the car, and drives off.

...

"Scarlet Bennet," my name is called and I make my way up to the stage. The moment the school's principal hands me my diploma, a huge smile forms on my lips, and tears pool in my eyes. I look up to the sunny sky, and think about my father. I can almost hear him saying how proud he is of me. I walk back to my assigned seat blinking back the tears.

"Oh my god, we made it, girl!" Lauren exclaims as she hugs me.

"I know," I laugh.

"I feel so grown up," Nathan says, appearing from behind Lauren.

"And yet, you still look like a child," Lauren says, earning an eyeroll from Nathan.

"Lauren, you're always so mean to me! You know I am a sensitive person!"

"Nathan, you always take everything up the arse!" Lauren exclaims. I sigh, and walk away from them. They're about to start an argument that will last hours.

"Scarlet!" Someone calls. I turn to see my mother, sister, and Harry's mum approaching me.

"I am so proud of you, sweetie," my mother says, hugging me.

"Thank you," I smile. Monique hugs me next, congratulating me.

"Scarlet, dear, congratulations," Anne hugs me, and kisses both of my cheeks.

"Thank you, Anne." They start chatting about things I don't care about, and my attention is focused on finding Harry. If he even came.

My phone vibrates. It's a text from Harry.

Harry:

Turn around.

I turn slowly, and see Harry carrying a huge teddy bear with balloons and a bouquet of roses. I gasp and he smiles, his dimples showing. He walks up to me.

"Hello, Sweetheart," he says.

"Harry," I greet.

"Congratulations," he hands me the big bouquet, and bear.