Chapter 31

Scarlet

I lay on the bed, watching television along with Anne and Gemma. My mother is with Monique since she went into labor. I wish I could be there with her, but I can barely move. I feel weak and tired.

I see Harry walk in and my heart beats faster. Unfortunately for me, the heart monitor beeps faster and everyone turns to look at me.

"Missed me?" he smirks, making me blush and smile. He's carrying my gym bag and plastic containers.

"A little," I say. "Did you bring me the blanket?" he nods and sets the bag on the small couch, opening it and taking out the blanket.

He walks over to me and places the blanket over me. "I brought you a few sweaters, and fuzzy socks as well. Oh, and your phone, I imagine you'll be bored out of your mind." I smile at him and thank him. He pecks my lips and sits on a small space of the hospital bed.

"How's Monique? Has the baby been popped out yet?" Harry asks.

"Interesting choice of words, Harry." I giggle. "But no, I don't think she's given birth yet. She started getting contractions but her water didn't break."

"Mum, Gemma, can I get a moment alone with Scarlet, please?" Harry says.

"Sure, honey," Anne smiles and her and Gemma exit, closing the door behind them.

I turn to him and find his eyes already focused on my face. "Everything okay?" I ask, blushing a little. He gives me a small smile and takes my hand in his.

"I'm just really glad you're okay, Sweetheart." He kisses my knuckles. "You know, I had a talk with Maura today."

"About?" my brows furrow.

"I told her some things that I should've told you a long time ago." He says quietly.

"What things?" his eyes meet mine and he caresses my cheek.

"First off, I want to apologize for everything. What happened was my fault. It was all because of me, and it's something I will never forgive myself for."

"Harry-" he presses his index finger to my lips to stop me from talking.

"I also want to tell you that I really love you, Scarlet." My heart beats faster, and the monitor registers it. Harry smiles at the sound. "I love you so much and I am really sorry for not saying it months ago. The thing is that, when my girlfriend, Leila, died, I was left heartbroken and I didn't want to feel that pain ever again. I swore to myself that I would never fall in love again and then I met you," he says softly. I bite the inside of my cheek and look up to keep the tears from falling. "Scarlet, I fell for you the moment I met you. And I was angry at myself for falling so fast and breaking my own promise. I tried to push you away by being a dickhead all the time and I never should've done that. When I found you laying on the bathroom floor unconscious I felt like a piece of me had died. I thought I had lost you, baby. I can't believe it took me almost losing you to realize that my life can't go on without you. You're my life, Scarlet. You're all I care about. If I don't have you I don't want anything else. I don't care about boxing or the money if you're not by my side." I start sobbing and pull him to me with a newfound energy that surges through me.

"Harry," I sob. "I love you so much, you have no idea." He pulls away slightly to look me in the eyes. Tears escape his eyes and roll down his cheeks. I have never seen him cry before, and I know he means every word he said.

"I'm going to be a better man for you, Sweetheart. I promise you that I will make it up to you and that I will not be such a horrible person anymore." He grabs my face gently and kisses my forehead before kissing my lips.