Chapter 39

"What are you doing today while I'm away, Sweetheart?" Harry asks, picking up his gym bag.

I finish applying my lipstick before answering, "I'm going over to my mother's house." He raises his eyebrows in surprise.

"Did she call you?"

"No," I shake my head. "In all honesty, if I don't try to talk to her, she will not contact me." He walks over to me and pulls me into his chest, wrapping his arms around me. "Why hasn't she tried to contact me these past months?"

"I have no idea, love. I wish I could give you an answer," he kisses the top of my head.

"I love you, Curly."

He smiles that dimpled smile that I love so much. "And I love you, Sweetheart. So very much." He picks me up and kisses my lips softly. "I've got to go, now. I'll see you later, baby."

"Have a good day, love!" He winks at me and exits our room.

I take one last look in the mirror, making sure that my hair, makeup, and clothes are perfect. Having to face my mother makes me absolutely nervous. I don't know what to expect asides from her possibly ignoring my questions. I grab my purse and head out.

Once I arrive at my mother's house, I stay in the car for a few minutes to gather strength. "Let's get this over with," I tell myself before stepping out of the car and making my way up to the front door, ringing the doorbell. The door swings open and Joey's welcoming face appears. A wide smile appears on both of our faces, and I throw my arms around him.

"Joey!" I exclaimed, hugging him tightly.

"Ms. Scarlet," he chuckles. Joey has been working for us since I can remember. After my dad's death, Joey was always there for me, and he became kind of a father figure for me and Moni.

"Is my mother here?" I ask him, letting go. He nods, leading me to the garden.

"I believe she is out there watering the flowers," Joey says. I raise an eyebrow. My mother watering the flowers? Shocking.

I smile and thank him, sliding the backdoor open and walking out. I look around the garden and see there are a lot more flowers than there used to be when I lived here. The swing set where Moni and I used to play is now gone and has been replaced by a greenhouse. I spot my mother watering some flowers while wearing a flowery dress and pink pumps. I roll my eyes.

"Mother," I say loud enough for her to hear. She straightens her posture and turns to face me.

"Scarlet!" She smiles, setting down the watering can. "How are you, darling? Come here and give me a hug!" I approach her slowly and she wraps her dainty arms around me.

"Um... I'm good, mother." She holds me at arm's length and looks me up and down, smiling.

"You look good, honey. Would you like some tea?" I open my mouth to reply but before I can say anything she goes on. "I'll get that started. Here, have a seat. We'll drink tea out here." With that, she waltzes into the house, leaving me standing in the garden confused.

Minutes later, my mother comes back, carrying a tray with the tea and teacups. A woman follows behind her, carrying a tray with biscuits and pastries. They set the trays on the table and the woman walks back into the house. My mother sits across from me, pouring the tea into the teacups.

"Um... mother, I wanted to talk to you," I say. She hands me the cup of tea and places some biscuits on a plate, setting it in front of me. I thank her and wait for her response.

She serves herself some tea and biscuits, taking her time. I take a good look at her. Analysing her the way she did with me. Her hair is perfectly styled, makeup is flawless, clothes perfectly fitted and ironed. I've never seen my mother looking anything less than perfect, not even when my father passed. She did not cry, at least not in front of people.