Chapter 81

Harry and I sit in the waiting room, nervously. That same day, we called Dr. Melendez to schedule an appointment, which she gave us in the time of three weeks, however, I've been having cramps and some spotting which has me terrified. I called her and she changed the appointment for two weeks instead of three.

"I'm scared," I whisper, trying to hold back tears that threaten to escape.

"I know, Sweetheart. I am too, but everything will be okay." He takes my hand in his and squeezes it reassuringly.

A door opens, and Dr. Melendez appears with a smile. "Scarlet, are you ready?"

I nod and take a deep breath before standing up and following her into her office, Harry trailing along right behind me. "So, Scarlet, you told me you've been having some cramps and spotting, right?" she asks, looking over records and writing things down.

"Yes," I say.

"How long has this been going for?"

"About three or four days," my voice comes out shaky.

She nods and asks me more questions. "Alright, well, a bit of bleeding and cramping in early pregnancy is quite common. But due to your previous miscarriage, it's always better to make sure everything is alright. Let's go see your baby, shall we?" she smiles and guides us into a room. I lay on the bed and lift my shirt. She squirts the cold gel on my abdomen and begins spreading it around with the transducer, giving me flashbacks of the first time I came to see her. My throat tightens and I try to swallow back the lump.

"There," Doctor Melendez says, pointing to the screen where a tiny bean appears. "There's your baby."

I can't hold my tears anymore and I let them run freely down my cheeks. My heart wants to beat out of my chest as I stare at the image on the screen. Harry squeezes my hand and presses a tender kiss to my forehead. I turn to look at him and he wipes away the tears with his free hand, but more keep falling down. "There's our baby," he whispers, smiling down at me.

Doctor Melendez lets us listen to the heartbeat and assures me it sounds strong and healthy.

She hands me a tissue and I wipe off the gel, fixing my blouse, then we head back into her office. "Scarlet, Harry, I'm very happy to say that your baby is doing well. You're about five weeks along and your baby is about the size of an apple seed," she smiles, handing us the ultrasound images. "I will say that because of your previous miscarriage and your depression and anxiety, you might have a high-risk pregnancy."

"Is that bad? Is my baby going to be okay?" I ask, panic starting to settle in me.

"A high-risk pregnancy doesn't mean everything will go wrong. It just means that you have to be a lot more careful. The chance of you delivering a healthy baby is very high, Scarlet. I'm going to prescribe you the prenatal vitamins you need to take, and lots of bed rest, alright? I don't want you worrying too much, stressing too much, or exerting yourself too much. Asides from the prenatal vitamins, I want you to have a good, balanced diet so your baby can keep growing, and drink lots of water." She hands me a paper with the prescription. "If you want to do some exercise, I recommend walking or swimming. Lastly, I'm going to schedule another visit for you in four weeks."

She gives me options on the date and times, then we thank her before leaving. 

Once we get in the car, Harry takes my hand and kisses my knuckles. "Our baby's okay, Sweetheart."

I take a long, shaky breath and nod. "Thank God, I'm still nervous, though. I don't think my nerves will go away until I have our baby in my arms."

"Remember she said not to worry too much, love. We just need to focus on you resting, taking your vitamins, and overall taking good care of you and the baby."

He's right, Doctor Melendez said that the likelihood of me giving birth to a completely healthy baby is high, which calmed my nerves a little. However, due to my last pregnancy, I can't help but worry that the same thing will happen.

It's a fear that I know will not go away and will be nagging at me every day during my pregnancy.

We have not told anyone about the baby, yet. I was too scared to tell our family and then end up losing my baby once again. I'd rather wait for a few more weeks, before breaking the news to everyone. Just to make sure.

On the way home, Harry stops by the pharmacy and buys the vitamins I was prescribed. Once he's back in the car, he asks if I'm craving something.

"I'm good, Curly. I haven't been having cravings. I do want to get in bed and take a nap, I'm pretty tired."

"Let's get you in bed, then, Sweetheart." He caresses my cheek and drives through the rain until we arrive home.

Harry helps me out of the car and insists on carrying me up the stairs so that I don't exert myself, even after I told him I would be fine. He sits me on the bed and goes walks over to the dresser, pulling out a pair of my sweatpants and one of his t-shirts. "Let me help you change into this, Sweetheart. I want you to be comfortable." He gets on his knees in front of me and takes my jacket off, placing it beside me, then starts undoing the buttons on my blouse. His eyes are concentrated on every button, his fingers working their way down tenderly.

My eyes are fixed on his concentrated expression. His hands slide under the fabric on my shoulders and he gently removes my blouse. "Arms up, baby," he says, grabbing his t-shirt and sliding it down my torso. He takes my hands in his and pulls me up. I kick off my shoes, and his fingers unbutton my jeans and zipper. He hooks his thumbs in the waistband and slides them down my legs. His movements are slow and gentle, he's being so careful with me. It's as if I was made of porcelain and any sudden movement could break me.

I step out of my jeans and he helps me with my sweatpants next. He holds one finger up and goes back to the dresser, this time, grabbing a pair of fluffy socks and sliding them over my feet.

My heart clenches in happiness and tears start forming in my eyes. Maybe it's the hormones, maybe it's because I always cry for everything, but this gesture has made me want to cry. His eyes meet my face and he notices my watery eyes.

"What's wrong, Sweetheart? Are you feeling alright?" He sits next to me and pushes a strand of my hair behind my ear.

I shrug and wipe my tears. "I'm okay, Curly. It's just that... you helped me get comfortable and it just made me really happy. Thank you, my love." He chuckles and places a kiss on my forehead.

"I love you, Sweetheart. You know I'll do anything for you and our little Apple Seed," he leans down and kisses my abdomen. "Rest now, love. I'll be down in the office, alright? Text me if you need anything."

I nod and lay down, he lays a blanket over me and I snuggle into it, closing my eyes.
____________________________________
A/N: Me cause Harry's a cutie 🥺

____________________________________A/N: Me cause Harry's a cutie 🥺