Chapter 62

When we arrive home, Harry and I head straight to the dining room. Harry insisted that I needed to eat, even though I do not feel hungry. I have not been eating much at all. I've gone days without eating, and days where I only eat a banana or an apple. I know I've lost a considerable amount of weight, my jeans don't fit the same way they did and my blouses are too loose on me.

"Here you go, Scarlet. Enjoy, my dear. And please try to eat everything," Maura says as she places the plate of soup in front of me.

"Thank you, Maura." I take the spoon and play around with the food. I can feel Harry's eyes on me. "Yes?" I ask, meeting his gaze.

"I'm just waiting for you to stop playing with your food and eat, babe." I take a deep breath before eating a spoonful of soup. A small smile plays on his lips and I see his eyes light up. This tiny action has changed his whole aura, he looks happier, and that encourages me to keep on eating. We make small talk as we eat, and before I know it, I finish the whole soup.

Maura comes in and asks if we want some dessert. "I made Tiramisu," she says.

"Just a small piece, thank you," I smile at her and she walks out.

A few minutes later, I hear some voices outside the dining room, it sounds like there is an argument going on. Harry and I look at each other confused and stay as quiet as possible so that we can make out the words.

"You need to behave! You can't go around saying those types of things, especially now!" that sounded like Maura and she sounds pretty angry.

"I can say whatever I want. I might work here, but I have the right to express my thoughts!" that's Claire.

We listen more intently. "Claire, lower your voice. I never said you can't express your thoughts, I just said you can't say that. Especially at this time, it's hurtful."

"It's true though! She acts like she's the perfect wife and whatnot, but she can't even keep a baby in her uterus!" Claire screams.

The whole house falls silent. The air gets thicker and it is hard to breathe. Harry's mouth is slightly open with shock, then his face starts turning red with rage. My heart drops, I feel like someone has stabbed me and keeps twisting the knife. In fact, getting stabbed sounds great. I would take any kind of physical pain instead of having to feel this deep, dark pain that makes me feel numb but at the same time like I am being squished by a pile of concrete.

"Excuse me, I lost my appetite," I say, just as Maura walks into the dining room. I cannot meet her eyes. I quietly stand from my place at the table and walk out.

Harry follows me, along with Maura. I'm barely a few metres away from the dining room when I see Claire. Her eyes stay fixed on me, challenging me in some way. Her posture is straight, shoulders back, confidence overflowing. I walk past her, making my way to the stairs, but I stop and turn to face her.

I see Harry open his mouth, about to say something to her, but I speak before he does. " Claire... I don't know what I ever did to you. I know it was a shock for me to just come here into all of your lives and having to adjust to all the changes. But I really never did anything bad to you. And since the first day I got here, you've been nothing but mean, rude, and disrespectful to me. And I had the chance to fire you so many times, however, because I love Maura so much, I didn't. I've put up with your comments all this time. You've flirted with my husband, shamelessly so many times, and I've said nothing. To be honest, I don't think I deserve that kind of treatment. But this time, Claire, you crossed the line. I don't think it's fair for you to say that I can't even keep my baby, because what happened was not my fault. I wanted that baby so bad, and the fact that I only got two weeks to bond with it, tears me apart. The pain that comes after a miscarriage is excruciating, and not in a physical way. It's something that doesn't allow you to go on with your life. A kind of pain that makes you feel like God himself does not want you to be happy. It's horrible, Claire. And you can look at me like I'm nothing, and like you're much better than me. But I truly hope you never experience something like this. I don't wish this kind of pain on my worst enemy." I take a deep breath and wipe the tears I didn't know had fallen. "Maura, I'm sorry, but I don't think I can have Claire working here anymore. I know she's your granddaughter but... this is too much. This is unacceptable."