2 - Unaccounted for Responses

I laughed shaking my head as Mike dripped the ice cream onto his legs for the fifth time since we’d started eating. “You can throw a football almost a hundred yards but you can’t keep ice cream in the cone and not on your pants?” I teased him lightly.

Mike gave a shy smile as he wiped it off of his jeans. Again. “Well sorry that I’m not as skilled of an icecream eater as you.” he stuck his tongue at me and I rolled my eyes but grinned nonetheless.

He’d gone into the bathroom to change into a pair of casual clothes while I’d ordered our ice creams for us. I had a feeling that he’d have to wash this pair the moment he got home with how much of the rocky road kept ending up on his pants instead of in his mouth. “Here.” I unfolded my napkin and set it over his leg. “Now your pants will be safe.”

“How thoughtful of you.” he smiled and shook his head slowly, looking over at me.

For a moment I didn’t realize what he was doing as I ate at my ice cream. My tongue ran over the sweet cold of the plain vanilla ice cream but it was oddly hard to enjoy it. The feeling of unease in my gut was making it too difficult. Finally I shifted my eyes from my icecream over to Mike who sat there, staring intently at me. “What?” I asked, pulling my mouth away from the cone. He didn’t answer. Just kept staring. I tilted my head to the side, wondering why he was just staring at me so obnoxiously. As I did a drip fell from the cone and straight onto my lap.

Mike broke out laughing and I shot him a slightly miffed gaze. He’d done it on purpose! “Jerk!” I huffed as I snatched up a napkin and blotted at the jeans I wore.

“Now who’s the messy one?” he asked and when I looked back to him mischievous smile caused me to smile in response.

“Whatever.” I grumbled, trying to look upset. But his cute slightly dimpled grin had caused a smile on my face that wouldn’t go away. “I still think you’re a jerk.”

“What?” he asked, batting his eyes innocently. He laughed again and once more I tried and failed to look mad. Finally I gave up on blotting at my jeans and returned my attention to the ice cream. We both sat there in the loud crowded ice cream shop just licking away at the cones, stealing little glances at each other.

Finally he broke the silence with, “So, who’s this boyfriend of yours?”  I was wondering when he’d get around to asking.

“Kale actually.”

The look on his face coupled with the caught off guard choking sound he made caused me to burst out laughing. He stopped mid lick staring wide eyed, jaw dropped slightly looking as though he just saw a ghost. For a long moment he sat staring at me with that shocked expression. His messy brown hair hanging in his eyes as he blinked slowly. I watched as he opened his mouth then closed it again. Okay… that reaction was not expected.

“Is something wrong with your ice cream?” I asked finally, wanting to break the stunned silence he’d left hanging in the air.

Suddenly realizing he’d been letting the icecream drip on him again he set it down on the counter. For a moment he wouldn’t make eye contact me and busied himself instead with wiping his hands on his already messy pants. “No,” he managed to get out before turning his eyes back to me, looking as though he’d just been put in a very uncomfortable situation. “It’s fine.”