24: Game Changer

Now I know I said I wouldn't update any of my old stories until "Lesson One" is finished, but I decided to give you guys a treat for being so patient. I'm sorry for making you wait, but you have to understand I started these stories over six years ago and retouching them is proving difficult. Anywho, enjoy and much love - Jade

-------

I sighed heavily, collapsing onto my bed. Only it wasn’t my bed; not really. It was Jakeson’s. I was only a guest in his house regardless of how much he insisted I consider it ‘home.’ It wasn’t, no matter how selfishly I wished it were. Brendon and Skylar were right. I couldn’t live with him forever. Or much longer at all. I’d already told him this morning I needed to move out. I’d been set on discussing the move but that, like everything else, didn’t go according to plan.

A knock sounded on my door and I looked up nervously. Not now. If that was Jakeson coming to talk I was prone to snap. I couldn’t handle his hurt expression when he asked why I needed to leave. The only way I’d avoided it so far was because of the Skylar fiasco. That had worn me out enough all on its own.

“Rein,” Matthew’s voice called through the door, “I know you’re in there.”

With a groan I pulled myself from the large bed. “What now?” I asked, pulling open the door.

He took me in with a quick scan of his blue eyes. “It’s only five and you’re already locked up in your room?” he asked, inviting himself in as he strode past me. I watched, with eyebrows raised, as he sat on the edge of the bed and grinned up at me.

“What else is there to do?” I asked, my eyes flickering to the door in my hands. As much as I hadn’t planned on actually talking to Matthew I didn’t want to risk his brother coming in. An open door in this house seemed to be an invitation. Only Matthew would try to talk to me when the door was closed. Seeing as he’d already let himself in I closed the door to avoid Jakeson joining us as well.

“Spend time with your boyfriend?”

I rolled my eyes at his teasing tone. Matthew was such a little jerk sometimes. Only I wasn’t sure why I still considered him as being younger. He was older than me, and in my grade. But after being around Jakeson and the gang I had just gotten used to being the ‘younger brother.’ “I’m not dating anyone,” I sighed, shaking my head.

“Yeah I know,” he responded, earning a questioning glare from me. Matthew just smirked, laying his torso back on my bed. “You came home with Jakeson,” he pointed out.

That was another thing about him; his attitude. I got the feeling everything was a game with him. It almost reminded me of Kale when I first met him. Only Matthew was much more playful than perverted. “Then why ask?” I sat on the bed, a short distance from him.

“To see what you’d say,” he laughed, sitting up and looking over at me. He’d always been direct. It was actually kind of refreshing.

“How does coming home with Jakeson have anything to do with my relationship status?” I asked, pinching his cheeks. The instant scowl that came to his face made me smile.