25: Doing it Wrong

As mentioned I can't guarantee frequent updates on this story! Any story marked with || is on "hold." I'm throwing an update your way because it's finished and you guys have been patient! Thank you for reading! <3

I sat down with a defeated grumble, a smile on my face nonetheless. Who would have guessed that Matthew happened to be an amazing bowler? I knew I certainly hadn’t. To be honest I’d been looking forward to seeing him squirm. “You know,” I couldn’t help but scold, “what you’re doing is called hustling.”

“How was I supposed to know you can’t bowl?” he shot back with a teasing smirk lips.

All I could think was how it was nothing like Kale’s. There was no devilish sparkle in his eye – that’s what it was. Focusing in on Matthew I tried to shake the thought from my mind. I had no idea why on earth I was comparing the two. “Whatever,” I lamely brushed off his comment, getting to my feet.

Even as I picked up my ball, inserting my fingers into the holes as I strode towards the lane, I was mentally kicking myself. Getting a gutterball sure didn’t help. Behind me he laughed, finding my losing streak hilarious. So far it was 2-0. I had a feeling by the time we were done that’d be 5-0. My mistake for buying us five games right off the bat. But who could have blamed me for my assumption?

“You’re doing it wrong,” Matthew sounded thoroughly amused as he teased me.

I shot him a look over my shoulder, blonde hair falling into my eyes along the way. “The commentary isn’t helping,” I huffed, blowing the hair from my line of sight. Turning back to the ball return machine I waited, trying to ignore the feel of satisfaction jerk-wad was emitting from behind me.

The moment the blue orb showed itself I hastily picked it up, taking my place at the end of the lane once more. Focusing on the target – that’d be the pins – I gave it another go. “Maybe you should play with a handicap?” Matthew suggested, seconds before three of the pins tumbled to the ground.

Shooting him an irritated look I started back in his direction before finally giving in to the smile that fought its way to my lips. “Do you always have to be such a little bully?” I smarted back. Flicking him in the forehead, and earning a glare in return, I plopped back down into my seat beside him.

“I’m not a bully,” he scoffed, “you’re just not used to losing.”

“You have me. I didn’t know you knew how to bowl,” I admitted with a laugh, shrugging my shoulders. He had me there. It was in my nature to be competitive, which was why I didn’t want to get involved with the girls at school.

Matthew looked upset, his brow wrinkling and eyes going puppy dog mode. He doesn’t even realize how cute he is, I tried not to smirk already knowing his complaint. “Do I look like I’d be bad at bowling or something?”

“Kale can’t bowl so I figured you couldn’t either.”