23: Taking Advantage

“I didn’t want to do it like this,” Skylar said, perched on the opposite side of desk I found myself leaning on for support. The sudden intensity gaze made my stomach tie up into knots.

I paled a little at his words, worried where this could be leading. “Do what?” I asked, my voice hesitant.

"Rein, have you ever considered taking our relationship to the next level?"

His question caught me so off guard I froze in surprise. I stared up into his emerald eyes, mesmerized by the intensity they held. He can’t be serious. “What?” I finally managed to force out, aware of his eyes never leaving me.

Skylar smiled, rising from the desk he’d been perched on. “Like I said, this wasn’t how I wanted to do this,” he said smoothly, taking a step closer.

I’d sought him out to put an end to the disaster we’d created. Holding hand had been the stupidest idea I’d gone along with so far. “I thought we agreed this morning it wasn’t going past holding hands?” I asked, straightening myself out. “I’m not going to advance an imaginary relationship Skylar, it’s just not going to happen.”

He leaned against the desk that separated us, his eyes shining as he looked at me. “It doesn’t have to be imaginary,” he said slowly, his accent seeming to become stronger. “Date me,” he said, his words catching me off guard. A smirk crept onto his face as he read my floored expression.

The Skylar is asking me out? “But this morning-“ I stammered, trying to make sense of it. I’d only held his hand to annoy people. It had been a stupid, childish thing to do.

In a single graceful step he closed the distance between us, one of his hands finding a rogue strand of my hair. He ran his fingers over it, staring into my eyes with one of the most charming smiles I’d ever seen him wear. It looked right at home on his handsome face, and I was mystified by the entire situation. “You’d said no fake kisses,” he breathed, eyes glittering as he stared down at me, “but what about a real one?”

At his words I shook my head, staring at him in disbelief. “Look,” I paused, trying to clear my head as I took a step away from him slowly. When I’d first moved here I’d thought him talking to me was some sort of cruel prank he was so amazingly attractive. The more I got to know him I’d seen he wasn’t just the player everyone made him out to be. He was sweet, he was funny, he was thoughtful and caring but. . .  He’s not for me.  “Skylar, I can’t do that,” I finally managed to get out, the decision already made. I’d never considered dating him because I’d never felt like he was anything more than a friend.

“Is it because of Jakeson?” he asked without hesitation. I’d barely managed to shake my head when he asked, “Kale?”

“No, it’s not them. I just don’t-“ I paused, trying to find the right way to word it. I’d never had to turn someone down before. “You’re my friend,” I said lamely, not sure how else to put it. I’d come into this conversation with Skylar intent on putting things right. I hadn’t so much as considered it’d take such a drastic turn.

He cocked a brow, gazing at me with one of his winning smiles. “You don’t find me attractive?” Skylar asked, the question sounding crazy coming from him.