5 - Decisions of the Drunk

I went along with them not even bothering to wriggle from their arms like I usually would have done. Frankie, who apparently had witnessed the entire blow out, made sure to steer us clear of the room Kale was in. I was soon supplied with an unending stream of drinks as we talked and shoved each other acting like the idiots we were. The alcohol took over my system and I was no longer me. I was no longer depressed.

I felt like I could do anything and everything I wanted. I felt warm and sure. Though my vision was hazed and my actions sluggish I felt on top of the world. I was numb. As I lay across Matthew’s lap he grinned down at me as the group we were with roared loudly in laughter at some joke he’d told. I hadn’t heard it but I found myself laughing too. Just laughing felt good. “Matty,” I said suddenly as I sat up so I was no longer across his lap, “I think we need to hang out more.”

Of course he agreed. Everyone agreed. Every idea was a good idea. I felt good, even if it was only artificial happiness. Soon I dismissed myself from the group, my head spinning as I joined another, a drink in my hand. That night I found out that I was a happy drunk. Those obnoxious drunks who enjoy hugging everyone. and doing everything possible to make everyone smile. I found myself laughing with people I’d never met before. And when I found a friendly face I joined yet another group to spend time with him.

My mind took ages to even process the fact I was currently hanging onto Skylar as the group of people I was now with watched someone set their leg hair on fire. He laughed smiling down at me taking the drink from my hand and drinking some himself. My eyes hazed as I stared at the guy who was now brushing off his leg like mad, surprised at how quickly the hair had went up in flame then gone out.

“Let’s go.” I said as the scent of the burning leg hair met my nose and I felt nauseous. I looked up at Skylar and he nodded in agreement.

As with every other idea it was a great one. I smiled huge as we went into the living room where the music was playing loudest. I clung to him as we entered, his arm wrapped securely around my waist. Little did he know he was the only reason I hadn’t stumbled over my feet. He grabbed me by the hand after setting down the drink and led me to the group of dancing people. His eyes glinted as the song changed and we made our way to the middle of the mass of moving bodies.

At first Skylar supported me as I slowly began to dance with him, trying to work out what the beat of the song was. The music was seeping into my pores now. I could feel it entering me. Skylar whispered to me, his accent like a drug to my ears and before I knew it I was dancing on my own. And I got into the music. Way into the music. With every swing of the hips I was being pressed further into Skylar along with other people who were creeping up on me but I didn’t mind. I just wanted to get as far away from reality as I could. I danced with anyone who danced with me. I didn’t care if it was a guy or girl. It didn’t even faze me when it was people I’d never seen before in my entire life.

Skylar, upon noticing how relaxed I’d become, grabbed my hand and pulled me from the dancing group. I stumbled after him as I had to work my way in between the mesh of people. The moment we were free his arm was around my waist, supporting me as he lead me towards the kitchen where the drinks were served. Before I knew it we were doing shots. Shots of what I didn’t care. I let the vile liquid burn my throat, choking at the first swallow. Skylar patted my back grinning down at me as he took three shots in response.

Not wanting to be outdone I took another then another. The alcohol kicked in again and I shook my head as another was offered to me. “One more.” he cooed. And when I looked up into his face I noticed how darting and far off his eyes seemed. He was as drunk as I was. I’m drunk! I suddenly laughed and nodded in agreement. I’d gotten drunk. And it felt great.