1 - The Boyfriend

[[ This is the SECOND installment in the "Smirk Series"  The first part is called "It Began with a Smirk."  You don't have to read it in order to read this one, but it is suggested. Things will make a lot more sense! Enjoy! <3 ]]

He stood with the football in his hand, and though I couldn’t see his face I knew how completely relaxed it would look at this very moment. Kale was always in the zone when he was playing football. I smiled brightly, cheering with the rest of the crowd as he threw the ball and I watched as the game continued. It was the last game of the season. The game against our ‘rivals’ the ClayVonttes. Everyone was pumped. Everyone was cheering. All around it was loud and lively.

“I think we’re gunna win!” Skylar had to yell from beside me in order to be heard over the crowd. I laughed as he handed over the can of pop just before getting knocked into and nearly crashing into the person in front of us. The bleachers were crowded now more than ever. Not to mention being with Skylar there as my escort meant I was in the even more crowded senior section. Kale and the rest of the gang were all out on the field.

“We are down by seven right now.” I pointed out, looking to the large score board. “And ClayVontte is really good.” as I said this a few people shot me glares and I laughed loudly with Skylar. I knew better than anyone how good they were. I’d played a game of football with them back when I’d gone to Mike’s party. That seemed like forever ago.

“So are we.” Skylar pointed out and grinned evilly as the crowd around us roared loudly again urging all of the players onwards.

The sweet pop met my tongue and I took a swig before handing it back to Skylar. “Yeah yeah but even good teams lose sometimes.” I pointed out. It was true. I didn’t want to get my hopes up that we’d win. Seeing as I’d be the one Kale would take his anger out on if we lost I had to be prepared for the worst. I was the only one who knew how to calm him down.

“If Kale heard you say that he’d fillet you.” Skylar laughed as he watched the game along with me.

“I bet you’d love that huh? Not having any competition in photography?” I teased back, sticking out my tongue at him.

His reply was interrupted as Jakeson made a hail mary catch on the field and we all jumped up and cheered loudly. I was probably the second loudest one of them all. There were all of my closest friends playing their hearts out on the field. But more than that was the boy I loved and I knew he was playing the hardest of them all.

Screams of support rang out from everyone as Kale bolted down the field, surprising the other team. He was the quarterback, no one had thought to watch for him running, only throwing. I cheered until my throat hurt as he dodged the defense and barreled into the endzone. We were almost tied! All that we needed was a fieldgoal and we’d finally be tied!

The game went on the score always close but ClayVontte kept up a lead. No matter how hard our team pushed onwards Clayvontte pushed back just a little bit harder. Finally the game ended with a disappointing loss for our team. It was close, but a loss nonetheless. Kale’s going to need some cheering up. I should invite the guys over for video games.

Skylar waited with me as he blocked people from bumping into me. He grinned down at me as he acted like my safety guard, taking the shoves from people as they made their way through the bleachers and passed us. I was thankful for his presence. As was our routine, I backed up against his chest the moment the band players made their way down and I had to use his body to shield myself. After he stuck his arms out and swung them like mad people began to take the hint and a small safe circle of space was created for us.