17- Letterman Jackets

Frankie and I had moved on from loudmouth’s group, thank god, and on to a much more accepting group his friends. I smiled brightly as one of the boys continued his portrayal of what had happened with him concerning one of the new teachers at their school.

“And I swear to god almighty he pulled me close-“ he beckoned for his short stocky friend to step forward and he did letting the boy telling the story set his hands on his shoulders and hold him at arms length as he lowered his eyes to be at the same height as the boys “-just like this.” He looked around to make sure everyone was watching. We all were, grinning crazily at how nervous the stocky boy looked.

“And he said:” the boy cleared his throat to make his voice sound gruff as he mimicked the teacher. “Boy I support that we’re allowed free choices as I’m sure you do as well.” He looked around again. “Of course I agreed with him. Scared shitless nonetheless. And he continued: “But I support the ‘Don’t ask don’t tell.’ and that includes ‘don’t look at me like that anymore.’” The boy released the nervous stocky boy from his grasp. “He’d thought I was the queer one for looking at him so much!” We’d all laughed at that. “He’d been watching me thinking I was looking at him. And I’d been watching him thinking he was looking at me.”

The boy slunk away grateful that the story hadn’t turned so that he’d have ended up being hit on as the boy impersonated the teacher. “Let’s just say we both agreed to leave the conversation in the classroom.”

Again we laughed. The boy, I didn’t know his name, had been entertaining us for a good hour now. He’d so many stories! I wished silently I could have some funny experiences to share with people. I found myself drawing a blank. I didn’t really have any. Frankie grinned over at me as he handed me another beer. He was glad I’d eased up and was enjoying myself. I was too. This wasn’t so bad, being normal and all.

“Well I’m out.” the boy said tipping his bottle upside down to show only a few drops fell out. “Sorry to disappoint but I’m going to see if I can manage a refill.”

I smiled and offered forth my still full beer. “Here have mine. I was going to stretch my legs anyways.” I offered. He took it with a grateful smile. “Anyone else need one?” I asked as I got to my feet from where I’d been sitting on a log beside Frankie. Three of four people nodded and thanked me for offering.

“Want some company?” the stocky boy asked with a shy grin and I shook my head.

“I can handle it thanks.”I returned his smile and he actually blushed! Me! Of all people me causing someone to blush! I smiled to myself as I ambled off towards the direction of where the drinks were being doled out to everyone. I’d drank enough to feel a slight warm happy buzz throughout my body. Unlike last time I’d actually paced myself and things weren’t going too bad.

One of the JV boys stood up as I approached and leaned across the table. “What can I get ya?” he asked flashing me a huge grin.

“Could I sneak a twelve pack?” I asked nodding my thumb over towards the group he’d just watched me walk from. “Everyone’s run short.”

He nodded and one of the boys behind him who’d been listening in hopped to his feet and dug into a cooler withdrawing a cold twelve pack of cans for me. “You draw the short straw?” he asked as he slid them across the table and into my hands.