22- Weeding Out Lies

>>>>>Matthew's POV<<<<<

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"I swear to god man," Christian insisted, "your brother kicked Kale's sorry ass."

"It wasn't the first time I'd heard the gossip today, but I still found myself giving him a disbelieving frown. The entire day had been full f rumors, and this was just one of them I found confusing. My brother was a pompous idiot, as were all his friends, but this just didn't make sense. He wouldn't start a fight in school, it just wasn't like him. Especially not with Kale. The pair had hated each other, but they managed to set it aside to use each other. High school politics at it's finest.

I opened my locker, half heatedly asking, "What was the fight about?" I already knew what he was going to say before he said it. I'd been hearing it all day.

"Some girl," he shrugged, clearly not interested in anything but the fight itself.

Rein; obviously. I knew the who from the beginning. She was the only thing that'd ever set my brother over the edge. You could attack his car with a bat, insult him until you were blue in the face or even hit on his latest fling in front of him and all he'd do is give his self-confident smile. But so much as look at Rein for too long and he would watch your every move just waiting for an excuse to strike. Trust me, I would know.

Jakeson had a million reasons to pummel Kale. Over half of them were Rein orientated. But he never had. In his self righteous way he thought he was protecting Rein. If he blew up it acknowledged there was a problem and she'd brake. . . or so he thought. I knew better. She was a tough girl when given the chance. My brother and his friends were too busy babying her to let her so much as stick up for herself. Hell, she'd back talked me just the other day. Not to mention slapped Kale outright.

"You were there, you have to know more than just that," I snapped. "What about her got them fighting?"

The look on my face must have scared him, for Christian furrowed his brow in thought. "Uh. . . well they were yelling at each other," he offered, not helping at all. After a moment of him struggling for details his face lit up. "Oh yeah! She's dating Skylar!"

Just one more of the rumors I'd heard all day. Another thing that I'd filed under my bs category. I'd talked to Rein about Skylar before. She'd been as interested in him as a wet paper bag. "Why would the two of them fight each other and not Skylar?" I asked, both myself and him the recipient of the question. It still made no sense.